Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm Greg. New to community. Seeking advice on how to buy first Cougar and welcome any advice you can offer. I have love to give and have scrapped together some money, but I am clueless. I found a '69 xr7 that makes my heart skip but it is not really a driver, and frankly, I am too much of a wet blanket to know what to do with the horsepower. Also, I think the guy's wife made him list it and he doesn't really want to sell. So I don't really want to steal her anyway (the car). So I found more of a driver, but I'm worried that it will stretch my mechanical abilities (almost none). Also it's a '70 and--to my eye--not quite as sexy. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
166 Posts
go for the 69. What do you mean its not really a driver?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I hope to do a 20 min commute and the '69 is a bit of a hot rod. I'm not sure I know what to do with a car that comes with a temperature gauge. Oh, but she purrs...

·
Registered
329 Posts
Greg welcome abord weather It's a 69 or 70 you will enjoy your life with a COUGAR.Now with me my HART skips a beat with my 70 XR7 ragtop,I found it one night on the Internet so surf the Internet.I saw It in the classified that had nothing to do with the cougar community. So look every were befor you buy so you get a good deal.Steelcat :D 70 XR7 ragtop

·
Registered
889 Posts
69 all the way

I dont know where your from but in the great lakes region the classified list is getting longer each day now that the weather is breaking.Look for the normal rust places.And carry a magnet.There out there good luck in your tire kickin adventure Dan:p:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Very nice '70. And thanks for the welcome. I've learned a great deal from reading your posts. As for why Cougar? Don't get me wrong, I need some juice. But it all the reasons you all have written already. The lines. The sound a real door makes when you close it. The memory of eating lunch on the hood in high school listening to CCR blasting into the parking lot. The fact that we are roughly the same age ('69). That it evokes the time when we put a bunch of guys on the moon and the summer of love. Well, everybody has their reasons, right? I may be a wuss, but that just means I need a special ride to help me with the ladies, as has been observed here.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Hey as long as you dont drive a rice burner then more power to you. Good Luck and Drive fast;)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, now I have to confess, I used to own a '78 280z. I don't know if that qualifies, but it could rock the head back a little. And as long as I'm coming clean, a '73 VW Thing. I guess the common thread is that they all had some character.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Re: 69 all the way

dan said:
I dont know where your from but in the great lakes region the classified list is getting longer each day now that the weather is breaking.Look for the normal rust places.And carry a magnet.There out there good luck in your tire kickin adventure Dan:p:
--Sorry, I was in a hurry to register and neglected to say where I'm from. New York via Boston via SF via Belgium via Torrance, CA. I'd move around though to drive back the right one. I don't know can you take a magnet with you on the airplanes these days? Thanks again to all for your tips.

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
Go for the 70, they are ALOT nicer,lol. Im going to get razed but, they are much nicer to drive, alot more comfy, better brakes, but watch out for the hood when your under it, it will crack you a few times. But you will learn its there.
Good luck.

Rick

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
[it will crack you a few times. But you will learn its there.
Good luck.

Rick [/B][/QUOTE]

Hey, if you've been cracked a few times, you're gonna get razed, right? Thanks for weighing in.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Welcome aboard Greg,
I say that you will know your car when you see it, wheater its a 69 or a 70 or whatever. When you see a car thats right for you, as far as your preferences buy it because you will always say I should of bought that one. Once you commit to buying it stop in and we will all help you to get it purring just like it should.
Of course I'm with Rick, I'd buy the 70 but everybody has there own dream car and you should consider the things that are important to you like do I want a 428 or is a 302 enough? Do I want air? Can I live with green interior? Only you can answer these questions.
Good Luck and Happy Hunting
John
wvcat

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
GregW,

There's a nice project 1969 XR7 that is for sale, check out the "What's my car worth?" thread.....I think it is. It is a project, but it looks real solid to me (he's posted several pics). It's in CA, a long way from you, but CA and TX are among the best for relatively rust free cars. I can't vouch for the 29K miles but it looks impressive.

I don't think bringing a magnet on a airplane is a problem. A weak kitchen plastic magnet is good, they fall off really easy when there isn't a lot of metal.....and they don't scratch.

There is a lot of 69/70 rivalry.....friendly I think! But those 70's guys have drain bamage from being knocked in the head one too many times ;-)

Tim B
1969 XR7 428 CJR convertible
http://members.aol.com/timbrands/index.html

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
wvcat said:
Welcome aboard Greg,
I say that you will know your car when you see it, wheater its a 69 or a 70 or whatever. When you see a car thats right for you, as far as your preferences buy it because you will always say I should of bought that one. Once you commit to buying it stop in and we will all help you to get it purring just like it should.
Of course I'm with Rick, I'd buy the 70 but everybody has there own dream car and you should consider the things that are important to you like do I want a 428 or is a 302 enough? Do I want air? Can I live with green interior? Only you can answer these questions.
Good Luck and Happy Hunting
John
wvcat
Thanks for the good advice. Compliments on Blue. Very nice. Look forward to learning more from you all.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Oh yeah watch out for those 69 guys they are trying to convert everybody to 69's just so they can win the favorite year cougar poll. They are trying to convince people that if you get a 69 you will be magically transported back to the sixtys where you can get free love and all the drugs you can take, there was something else about woodstock but I came out of thier trance before they finnished...lol
John
wvcat
Peace Man:D

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
True, true. The '70 camp can point to stuff like Manson, or when Ted Kennedy didn't snap out of his trance and took his Oldsmobile off the bridge in Chappaquiddick. This is a bigger decision than I thought.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
The 'Summer of Love' or 'Head Banging' take your choice LOL!!! Although I like Heavy Metal, that's not what I had in mind. ;-)

Seriously, check out the Autotrader.com, eBay and local/non-local Cougar clubs for your cat. Be patient and buy the one that 'talks' to you (no it's not the ol' drugs speaking)......ya know the right one when you see it. Spend some time here and look at a lot of Cougars!

Tim B
1969 XR7 428 CJR convertible
http://members.aol.com/timbrands/index.html

1 - 20 of 48 Posts