Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can I get some advice (and warnings) on how to proceed on inspecting and possibly buying a cougar from several states away? I live in Illinois and I'm very interested in a 68 a gent has up for sale in Massachusetts. From the pics it's looks to be well done and it's in my price range. In the past I've driven as far away as two states to inspect a car but MA. is too far away.
For you fellas who have purchased cars from large distances, did you use inspection services? How well did they inspect the car? How do you make sure the car gets shipped to you once you've paid for it? Any advice you have would be greatly appreciated. Thanks..

·
Registered
437 Posts
You might want to see if anyone on this site is in the area as see if they can take a look at it for you. I bought mine in NJ last year and a member from NJ did just that. I then went myself to take a look at it and still needed a week to decide.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I'm in a similar position and I did ask if there was anyone nearby, but after 44+ people looked at the post I still don't have a single response. So I am going to try to find a service to inspect the car. Anybody have an inspection source in NYC?

Ed

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Hey Ed,

Have you checked with any of the Cougar clubs in that area? Might be worth a shot.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
If Chris can help, take him up on it! He knows these cars very very well.
Good to see you posting again, Chris. Hope that you've had a spring blast down the road and in not just the 67, this year.

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
If Chris can help, take him up on it! He knows these cars very very well.
Good to see you posting again, Chris. Hope that you've had a spring blast down the road and in not just the 67, this year.
Thx JB. Using the '67 quite a bit, but I've only had the '69 out once this season. I'll take my kids to school in it tomorrow am, I think - they want to show up in a vert (vs the school bus) for thier last day of regular classes before summer.

How's by you?

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The vehicle is in Dunstable. It can be viewed here

http://usedfordsale.net/2012/05/1968-cougar-xr7-dunstable-ma-12500-8/

and it is currently on Ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mercury-Cougar-1968-Mercury-Cougar-XR7-/120931009472?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item1c280cc3c0

The car has been up for sale for a couple months it looks like. I can call the current owner and get most of the info I want but as you all know seeing a car before you buy is a must. The paint looks newer, and except for the door striker plate it doesn't look like a quickie paint job. Also, no engine pics are provided. I do admire the garage though. Alot of nice cars. Gauch and Cat, how close are you two to Dunstable?

·
Premium Member
2,364 Posts
It's about 48 miles from me, but I'm going to be at a club event in Fitchburg on Sunday and that's much closer to Dunstable, which is near the MA/NH border. I could get up there Sunday afternoon at the latest. If you can get me the sellers contact information, I can call him directly and see what his schedule for this weekend looks like. There is a remote possibility that I could get there on Saturday.

Edit: I see his phone number on eBay, but do you have his address?

·
Registered
425 Posts
Looks like the guy has a nice collection of Cougars.

·
Premium Member
973 Posts
Ed,
Did you ever get a chance to look at my 69 Eliminator over at Chris's shop? I'm thinking of selling the car that has been completely rebuilt and rust free and is ready for paint. I have paid for the car to be painted but asked Chris to wait. The car needs to be reassembled which I have all the parts for, they are either NOS or reproductions. The Eliminator has never been driven since I bought it from Don Rush in 2004 and also has been in dry storage since then.
Thanks,
DR.

·
Registered
163 Posts
DR,

No I haven't had a chance to look at your Eliminator. Why don't we talk about this car on the phone. I'll PM you my number and my availability.

Ed

Ed,
Did you ever get a chance to look at my 69 Eliminator over in Chris's shop? I'm thinking of selling the car that has been completely rebuilt and rust free and is ready for paint, which I have paid for. The car needs to be reassembled which I have all the parts for that are either NOS or reproductions. The Eliminator has never been driven since I bought it from Don Rush in 2004 and also has been in dry storage since then.
Thanks,
DR.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Be very careful if it's from a dealer and look for a good car shipping company (no brookers). Brookers make extra money by hiring out other truck companies, they want you too pay them first, then you have to pay the trucker who brings it to you. Big rip off. As others have said look for a club in that area to help you out.

DGS CAT
Scott D

·
Registered
163 Posts
Looks like the car I was chasing was sold and relisted for sale. Can anyone look at a Cougar for me in Bohemia, NY?

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
1 - 17 of 17 Posts