Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok guys/gals,

im still working on this car obviously. i have an 86 F150 302 thats been de-FI'd. I already yanked all that FI stuff off and put the intake/carb/etc from the stock 302 on it.

here's the deal, the car sat for years with the motor torn down so i have a bucket of bolts and some parts. I just got another bucket of parts including some misc bracketry and an alternator amongst some other stuff.

i have mocked up the motor just to see what else is missing before i strip and repaint it all (motor is still good, not going to rebuild it). this is a budget build, thus the reason for the 86 motor since it came free deal when i picked the car up.

i have kinda figured out how the alternator mounts, although im missing one bracket. but i have found it online to get. does anyone have decent pics of the drivers side of the motor? need power steering mounting points.... and my car has dealer installed AC so i found out by looking now that apparently my brackets for the AC are all aftermarket welded units and not OEM looking. im kinda figuring out how that mounts but one thing at a time.

what i need to know is, what book/diagram/source etc would be best to get to find out the specs on each bolt? the stash of bolts i have, some kinda fit, some kinda dont, some just are who knows what.... what would be really neat is if someone who knew these cars coudl help me out..i'll buy beer haha.

any advice is welcome...

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Your best bet is to have the actual shop manual for the year of that motor. That will give you everything with exploded views of motor assembly. Of course yours is going to be different since it's not a truck, doesn't have FI, and may or may not have the A/C in the place you need it....also the radiator outlets were on opposing sides in '86 I think.....so you may need a new radiator. No matter how you slice it your going to have to fab/beg/borrow/steal parts to get it worked out. Plenty of guys here have done the conversion though...you should get plenty of assistance. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Where you located Barney? Mayberry? :buck:

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well it is the truck motor. but comparing them all the bolt holes and such were the same. kinda a 302 non roller block is a 302 non roller block. i had to block off the stupid smog crap that ran from head to head across the back, but that was an easy and common fix.

so its going to have all the accessories from the 68....when the motor was pulled from the truck, the brackets and accessories were taken off....

i have switched the water pump and got a new water pump last night that has the correct outlets vs the newer style. so thats a non issue. i just need to see how everything bolted up originally. wish whoever took this thing apart would have put the bolts in marked bags haha. well they did actually. one bag. labeled head bolts. but everythign is put in there.

so, all that to say, it should go back just like the 68 did, but just a newer block. only thing ive got to do is get the 50oz vs 28 oz imbalance deal taken care of but i already found the flexplate and balancer online to keep my v drive belts so im good there.

also, im in mansfield, texas. :) kinda mayberry i guess haha.

the name came from another forum...im a cop in "real" life and someone kept calling me barney fife so it stuck. so now im barney fife here. :)

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Hopefully someone from Texas (there are quite a few Cougar guys there, not sure what part though) can help you out.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
rookie. nope. already addressed that. i bought a 68 correct water pump. i kinda mentioned that already. :)

all im using is the block and heads basically. all the accessories are 68 stuff....i just need to know what bolts go where sicne ive got a bucket full of parts and buckets. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts