Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 68 Cougar XR7 and of course it steers like heck. It's so loose I hate it, but I was reading up on it and the control valves, and I was wondering if you tighten up the valve if it will tighten up the steering? If that's true that's great. - Chad

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
If it's that loose, you need to rebuild or order a rebuilt control valve... The valve adjustment nut doesn't do squat for a worn out control valve.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Chad, no doubt your control valve probably needs attention, they all do. I just rebuilt mine and spent about $50 and a couple hours doing it. Then my brother comes by and says he just picked up a rebuilt with a waranty at Auto Zone for about $80 exchanged. Just remember that every piece that moves under the front end can also contribute to sloppy steering. Worn out idler arms and tie rod ends need replaced. Worn bushings on the assist cyl strut rods and upper and lower control arms need checked along with all ball joints, steering box and rag joint. If you dont feel confident with checking it yourself, take it to a reputable alignment shop (preferably with a mechanic at least as old as your car). Most will check it for no or a little charge if they think they will be able to repair it for you for a hefty bill. Front end work is not really that complicated so you can probably do the work yourself and then return the car to the shop to be aligned when your done. If you find you have a lot of worn out parts, most of the larger mustang vendors sell complete front end rebuild kits which are pretty good deals in the long run and you will have virtually a new front end and most come with new upper and lower control arms with bushings and ball joints already installed which makes your instalation a breeze. Just remember if you get into all that to make sure you use the correct coil spring compressor as they can be leathal if they escape while under compression. You can usally rent one from a local auto parts if you dont have one.mm

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Hmph... I paid $130 for my rebuilt control valve... Serves me right for bein' lazy and not checking the local auto parts stores... 99% of the time though it results in encounters with pimple faced kids goin' "They MADE cars in 1969??"... I can't take that.

Maybe the extra $50 was worth the lack of aggravation... :rolleyes:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts