Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can anyone tell me the sequence to adjust the valves on a 302 and a 351. Also how could i find the firing order manually with out the book. I have a chilton manual and it seems to be wrong time after time. I replaced the heads and rockers and now i cant seem to figure out the timing order or the adjustment for the valves, motor just runns worse the more i do. I had the original rockers and it ran, i had to change them because they were worn and i put some stock ones on amd now the car runs worse.
any help appreciated.
thanks
dave

·
Registered
266 Posts
I'm not aware of any sequence. I tighten each one down and stop just as they go quiet.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
i never adjusted valves, but i know the firing order for the 351W is 1 3 7 2 6 5 4 8. my manifold was dirty when i got the car and i was able to actually run the car with the 8 and 3 reversed on the order. ooops. it ran, and not too bad either. im more surprised than anyone else here could be. and by the way, it was like that for almost 3 months and i didnt notice LOL.

·
Registered
14 Posts
adjust valves

I was told that most are not adjustable because they have hydraulic lifters. I will try to find out Monday:D

·
Registered
118 Posts
lifters

the rockers are non adjustable, the f.o. for a 302 is 15426378, but watch out the cams on the 302s and 351 are interchangeable, the f.o is stamped on the intake manifold just foward of the carb if it is not an aftermarket. g. luck

·
Registered
59 Posts
sequence

there is no real sequence that I can thaink of. But when we adjusted ours, we torqued down the exhaust valve first and then the intake. I hope this helps.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts