Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do any of you fine people have a recommendation for the type of glue to use for the foam seals that come in a heater box seal kit? I am particularly concerned with the seals that glue to the doors. I was banking on the instruction sheet having a recommendation but there was no mention of what glue to use. Any opinions would be appreciated!:)

·
11,000 Posts
I use either Fastbond 10, Formica 140 or 3M 1300L for circumstances requiring a contact adhesive involving fabric and metal but go to your local Home Depot or Lowes, just get any contact adhesive that is available in brush - on form and it will work fine.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I used 3M general spray adhesive when rebuilding mine. The hardest part was keeping the overspray from getting on everything it shouldn't be on.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Royce and Bruce. I think I'll go with the brush-on contact cement since I have been making messes lately and a can of spray adhesive would be dangerous!!

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Hey, I got the seals all glued in with a contact cement! All went fine (and no mess!!) Thanks again for the help!

On a related topic, when I took the heater box out of the coug, I noticed that there were some housing clips missing. No big deal, I ordered replacements along with the seal kit. But now, I just noticed that where the clips were missing, one side of the housing is damaged resulting in the clip not holding :mad: hence why the clips were missing.

I would appreciate any opinions on a fix for this situation. I thought of drilling small pilot holes in the flange area and using small screws. Would that hold???:confused:

Another idea would be to drill trough the clip on the damaged side into the flange and keeping a "stock" appearence?:rolleyes:

·
Registered
588 Posts
What about taking a dremel tool and making new grooves for the clips on both sides about 1/2" away from the broken ones? Another thought is to make a clip to bolt to the edge on the broken side that will hold the original clip. You need to put a brace on the inside or the screws will just pull out. I did something similar to repair a chipped corner and it has held for about 10 years now.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts