Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have what I believe is a factory 69 AC compressor. it has the ford tag on it with a 69 date code. I know we can add oil via the service valve with freon, but was told we should add some directly to the compressor. there's a bolt on top that looks like it would be where you would add oil, but there is also what looks to be a large plug about 2" with notches in it on the backside of the compressor with "OIL" written on it. Is this where we need to add it or does it make any difference ? Thanks in advance for any input.
Jeff

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Jeff,

Never have seen the 2" thing you describe, but the bolt/plug on the top you open (after turning the service valves all the way from their normal position to tightly at their opposite position which isolates the compressor from the rest of the system) and use a piece of wire as a dipstick, the dimension to measure to for full is in the shop manual.

Your compressor is a block looking thing and not a cylindrical (Sanden aftermarket), correct?

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Bob

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Bob. yes It's not cylindrical. my brother has one off a 69 & 70 just like it. I'll try to post a pic when I get a chance. we just thought it was strange that it had "oil" in white letters on it.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Thanks Bob. yes It's not cylindrical. my brother has one off a 69 & 70 just like it. I'll try to post a pic when I get a chance. we just thought it was strange that it had "oil" in white letters on it.
Can you post a picture of the white lettering?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts