Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
all,

over the past week I just got my 70 351c back from exhaust shop. we installed a set of sanderson shorty (FC4) headers. new pipe from headers back to the previous existing 2.25 inlet flowmaster mufflers. these are the old school 2 chambers (I know some love and some hate them).

shop asked me if I wanted an H pipe added. it didn't have one previously.......so I left it up to shops' discretion. they added H pipe and now, in my opnion, its as quiet as a church mouse.

could the H pipe be making the difference? it doesn't sound bad.......just sounds quieter than with the stock manifolds.

help! im immature and want the rumble.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Th e H pipe wouldn't make much difference. just re-read that...... I wonder if you had leaks before and it sounded louder!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Th e H pipe wouldn't make much difference. just re-read that...... I wonder if you had leaks before and it sounded louder!
I thought that as well......but I am definitely not an exhaust expert. there could have possibly been a leak at the manifold.....but the all good noise was coming from tail pipes before.....and now.....its like someone stole my Easter basket.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
LOl - well, you could add in some resonators I suppose! I have 40 series flowmasters on mine with resonators at the ends and it's a bit to loud IMHO. I have 2 1/2" all the way also.....

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts
The H pipe definitely stole the sound you had. If you want your sound back, you'll need to have the pipe removed. Adding resonators is like adding another muffler to each pipe. I wouldn't go that route either. Mostly big boat luxury cars like Cadillacs, big 'ol Buicks and Oldsmobile 98 came with them from the factory to make them even quieter.

·
Registered
4 Posts
all,

over the past week I just got my 70 351c back from exhaust shop. we installed a set of sanderson shorty (FC4) headers.
I bought some FC-4s for my '70 base with 351-2V and a Tremec T5, but as I'm looking into my emgine bay, they seem like they're too big to fit the passenger side. Did you have to make any mods to get them to fit? Anything I should know about the install (besides no gasket and use copper adapter), before I jump in? TIA!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts