Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How difficult is it to add air conditioning to a non-air 68 cougar? I am looking at buying a car that did not have air from the factory and I would need to add it. (Texas heat). Does it require a dash swap? What parts are necessary and is there an aftermarket kit?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
You know I'm not sure about the 67-68's but I'm pretty sure that Vintage Air list a aftermarket kit for the Mustang and the Cougar should be the same. I know the 69-70 are the same as the Mustangs.

Unless you have a complete air car to rob I would think the aftermarket would be the way to go if you dont care about the original look. Probably cost around a grand, but it would be all new. mm

·
Registered
126 Posts
Air

Vintage Air here in Tampa has pretty good aftermaket systems. An installation into a early Mustang was just featured in a recent Mustang and Fords Magazine and the cost was just over a grand. There are alot of cars here that have the setup and I haven't heard any problems. Looks very clean both under hood and under dash. The winters here in Florida are great for cruising, high 70's and sunshine almost every day. But summer is like hell lol. I have air in my Cat but come to think of it, don't use it as often as I do when driving my main cars. Ive only used it a few times, I guess I'd rather have the windows open and arm out, but it's always nice to know it's there when needed.

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
Re; Add air conditioning to a 68 Cougar?

Go with the kit that uses the small Sanden compressor... Very, very little drag on the motor...With the old Tecumseh, when it would cycle, my head would almost hit the steering wheel... Can't really tell when the Sanden is running...

I have the Vintage Auto Air Sanden retrofit kit on my 68.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts