Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help !!!! I am a young woman out of Florida and I love cars !! This is my first classic car so I need lots of help !!! I have a 1973 convertible red cougar. I have lots of restoring to do, but first I need to know if I can addapt a Chevy 350 motor to this car or add a 5.0 motor, both v8 ?? Also where could I find parts for my car ??

Please help !!!!:confused:

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
You can do either. IMHO (in my humble opinion) I'd suggest rebuilding your 351 or even going to a 429/460 (a 429CJ was optional in the similar 71 Cougar) and keep it Ford Powered.

Rebuilding the 351 is the easiest route and there are plenty of performance parts available. You won't have to find different motor mounts, drive accessories or other custom made stuff.

There is a Vendors Link here on the Home Page. you should be able to find parts through them.

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
It would be cheaper to rebuild the 351 in there, or dropping in a 5.0 then it would to put a Chev motor in there. Think about changing mounts, tranny, drivshaft, acces., linkage,exhaust,etc. Not really worth it I think. Get a donor Mustang 5.0 and use everything from that car, and your still alot cheaper then dropping in a Chev.

The 351 C in the car (if its still there) is a GREAT motor and wont take much to WAKE it up for a good street cruzier. Do a stock rebuild on it, a 270* cam, headers, and a alum. intake and 650 carb, and your up to 350-400hp. put in 3.50-3.70 posi rear and you'll be eating CHEVY's for lunch :)

Have fun.

Rick

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
id also suggest keeping the 351C that came in the car. if you want to go new tech, why not go for a newer 351W out of a truck instead of the 5.0L? the torque that the bigger motor will bring will be an asset to the car. oh yeah.. please no Chevy in the cat lol. the Cleveland is a good engine though, id build that as it will be alot cheaper than the 5L or another engine. welcome aboard as well :) post some pics of the car as well, im sure wed all like it see it.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Shame on you!!!!!!!!! Not only for saying Ch**y in here..... But to mention.... putting on in.... a C.... C.... Cougar!!! (I just fainted)

LOL ---> NO CHEVY DANGIT, STICK WITH A FOMOCO POWER PLANT!!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm sorry !!!!

Please forgive me for mentioning the word C ---Y, but just remember that is my first time !!! Be kind !! Thank you so much for your responses !! The reason why I asked about those 2 particular motors is because I have them in my possession right now. The car did not have the original motor !!! I also forgot to mention that the 5.0 motor I have is from a Lincoln .... would that still have enough power ?? I want power !! More suggestions please !!!!!!!!!!
:) :) :)

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Starting from scratch I would drop a 460 in that car. The chassis was built for it, it will drop right in. More Power!!! :D

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
The important thing about dropping the 5.0 in is making sure that you have the ECU (computer), wiring harness, and sensors. (If you still have the Lincoln it's no problem, if not you may need to source the harness from an aftermarket supplier). What year was the donor Lincoln? The 5.0 came in several different flavors, depending on the year and application (slightly different heads, cams, and intakes). The 5.0 aftermarket is really strong and will help you turn this into a screamer (the 5.0 has been one of the only American weapons in the Import Wars, so the aftermarket really jumped on it... just be careful not to get fooled into buying these "Parts" at http://www.KaleCoAuto.com (click on "Performance"). Ha! I've been waiting to post that link...

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Trust me, with the nature of your question and where you chose to ask it, there replies were WAY MORE than kind. mm

·
Registered
88 Posts
LOL

Greggie, I'm still ROTFLMAO at that web site. I can't wait to have my 16 year old son "shop" for parts there..........

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Chevrolet!

My Lady,
Please forgive my friends thier prejudices. I assure you that I do not share some of the same viewpoints as they do.
I have a large crowd of friends, and personally belong to and pay dues to at least 3 car clubs. one of them is predominately Ford, the other two are both Chevy sponsered clubs. My sister-in -law is a member of Cowtown Mopar Club.
In the past I have owned several cars which include a 27T-bucket powered by chrysler hemi 392, two 1950 model Ford trucks, both powered by Ford, I've also had a 55, a 56 and a 57 chevrolets, 2 cameroes, and 3 different Monte Carloes, all powered by Chevy and have worked on and fabracated many parts for all of my friends. The most work I have ever done however has been on Case International, John-Deere, and Caterpillar.
I have a wide variaty of experiances in doing things with cars and trucks.I still own a 55 Bel-Air chevy, that has a 327 with the double hump heads on it that have been worked, useing a .540,.540 Erson cam, Manley valves, Crane srpings, rockers, and pushrods, and toped off with an Edlebrock intake and 750 cfm carb. I had a M-22 Muncie rock crusher in it, but have swapped the 4-speed because of a knee injury that I have, to a turbo 400. It turns a 9 in ford rear end, because I got tired of breaking 12 bolt Chevys. The local ford (Mustang) guys hated this car. But they also hated my 460 powered 85 model Mustang LX.
I swear you couldnt please some people if you hung them with a new rope...
Now that you know some of the things I have been involved with, I want to tell you that I think you would be Money ahead by keeping the Ford motor in the convertible. The fabrication required to mate the chevy with the Ford would kill all the money you would have saved by useing the chevy motor. Yes, this can be done, but it has a high price.
The 5.0 motor is another nice choice with lots of performance options, but you did not give me enough information to give an unbiased opinion. The weight of the 73 is also a major hinderence on performance, your plans for, and the performance level of the 5.0 is not stated.
It is a fact that to move weight and mass you have to build torque. The cheapest way to build torque is with cubic inches. No one can argue with me about that statement reguardless of what they like or dislike.
The good news is that aftermarket performance parts are available for either engine. PAW, Jeg's, or Summit are three common places for them.
So what I have boiled this down to, for you, is (realisticly,) what are your personal preferances, and how much of a budget you have to work with. If you know what you like, and have the money, you dont have much of a problem at all.
After you have made your desicions, let us know. I would be more than happy to hear about a Chevy in a Ford. ( although I dont think its feasable in this case.) I would also be happy to share information with you, Ford or Chevy...
Good luck to you, Keep us posted...
shane:D

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Kaleco !!!

That is fantastic, I especially like the redhead headlights...:evil:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey Lil Wrinck, thanks for all the info !!! After reading all the prior threads I think the C---Y is a no go and I might actually go with the 5.0. The 5.0 is from an '85 lincoln that I think should not be a problem. I just can't wait to have it running and start supplying all you guys with pics. I am trying to be very patient but I just can't wait to drive my red '73 cougar !! It even sounds good !! It will be an experience to see a latina driving this car in the streets of Miami !!!! :pimp:

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
LiLWrink, My grandfather taught me something when I was very young, that was very good advice and that was to never apoligize for someone else!! That said its just plain wrong to me to put a Chev in a full bodied Ford or Mercury! Nothing against the SB Chevy as I have raced them in Modifieds and there a good tough little motor. I also had some Chevys that were nothing but junk. But you just dont inbread them! Just like Dogs shouldnt breed with Cat's. Like I said everyone has been "nice" here about it. So no apoligies needed. mm

·
Registered
216 Posts
Your 73 Cougar begs to have a big block. The little 5.0 (302) just doesn't make torque, at least low-end, and that's where you want to make power with this particular unit... Street driving, etc...Go with the 460, parts are relatively plentiful, and there is lots of stuff on ebay and elsewhere to "accessorize" such a motor.
Add to that the fact that you can do a relatively mild build on the 460 and make big power; to get the same kind of power out of either of those small blocks would require some real high dollar parts, not to mention the fact that such a small block would have horrible street manners.

Along with some beneficial information you will get from all of us abrasive bas!#%*#'s, you must, unfortunately, listen to us pontificate with our little heard, and less cared about opinions.

I rank the Chevy motor in the Cougar right up there with that guy putting a Jaguar front end on the 80's Cougar, it's just not right. ModMark said it, it's like a Missouri inbreeding thing.

Ron.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts