Mercury Cougar Owners banner

ACSCO original XR7-G

6K views 40 replies 16 participants last post by  ClawIt 
#1 ·
Was wondering if the XR7-G registry has an XR7-G listed as being shipped or sold to the ACSCO Company?

Reason I am asking, I have spoken with a gentlemen that has been purchasing parts for a mini restoration.

He did not have the door tag or body buck tag information handy. From memory he stated that it is a J code XR7-G, Black/Black.

ACSCO was the company that originally made the badging for the XR7-G, and still do.:ylsup:

#2 ·
Is this the car that used to belong to our friend who restores steering wheels? Leroy B?

Short answer, we don't have anything that says that. The car in question is known to the registry. Leroy told me the same story.

Was wondering if the XR7-G registry has an XR7-G listed as being shipped or sold to the ACSCO Company?

Reason I am asking, I have spoken with a gentlemen that has been purchasing parts for a mini restoration.

He did not have the door tag or body buck tag information handy. From memory he stated that it is a J code XR7-G, Black/Black.

ACSCO was the company that originally made the badging for the XR7-G, and still do.:ylsup:

#3 ·
ACSCO, or the president of the company, still owns the car. My contact was not with the company in 1968, he doesn't know the story of how the car came about.

#4 ·
I have spoken with the owner of the car, who is also currently president of the company. He desires to remain as anonymous as possible. He was employed at ACSCO at the time the G was developed. He was given the opportunity to buy the car at a discount at the time. He still owns it. It has a few mods but is mostly original. At the time of my last discussion, he was looking for a very very good original black drivers seat. I wanted to do a story about him and the car the company and he declined. He did say at some time in the future he might be willing to tell the story of the G from his perspective, but considering his current position he felt that it would have to wait.

#5 ·
Hmmm, another black xr7-G owner that wants to remain anonymous. And both of these owners have had these cars from the start. What a story it would make! The owner that has the one by me is the Dan Gurney car.

#9 ·
Sorry to hijack the thread, but when was the last time the Xr7-S car was actually seen in public. I'd love to see a photo spread on the car.

#16 ·
Sorry to hijack the thread, but when was the last time the Xr7-S car was actually seen in public. I'd love to see a photo spread on the car.
IIRC, there was an article about the car with a photo of it seen out in public on TCCN before the update and I believe it said 1980. John

#8 ·
ClawIt, I agree with you about the hood. I like the W code hood better than the R code (I would love to own either type of GT-E) but the XR-7S hood looks really cool on Motor Trends Car of the Year cover.
Steven
PS.. Love the G cars also and their unique hood scoops and options. :)

#12 ·
Jim, I believe your right. He doesn't have a desire at all to show any of his cars. Last time I talked to him was a little over two years ago( I hope he's all right) and he was saying he was considering selling one or two of his other cars.(no cougars) I can't remember which one's, but I do remember him saying they were ford proto types. He did mention that Ron Pratt was interested and one of the other high famed bidders of B-J. We exchanged ph# and he has even called me looking for cougar parts for his son in law I think it was.
He truly is a very nice person and I do respect his privacy. I think it would be more interesting to do a story of this man and his cars, cause if you ever talk to him he does have some incredible stories. But you are right, just not going to happen.

#13 ·
Geez, what would it hurt to let someone he trusts snap a few photos. I'd even donate to a fund to offer the guy some $$$ if that's what motivates him.

#14 ·
#15 ·
Bill/Josh, I have heard other people have approached him for shooting photos and just looking at his collection and he has turned down everyone, I know I wouldn't be any different. Like I said I haven't talked to him in a few years, and I usually see him at car shows. I don't hit the car shows like I use to,maybe one or two a year and I haven't seen him. He had told me he's not a rich man, but he does have his cars. From one of our conversations the way he put it, I'd have to say well over the million mark. So money is not going to motovate this guy. Obviously he's happy with his life the way it is, and I have to respect that. If I do run into him again, I'll gingerly bring up the subject. I must say the guy is a hoot to talk to.

#17 ·
Guys like me are probably why he's keeping it under wraps, but I'd love to build an XR7-S clone.

#19 ·
JMHO....I don't understand the "logic" of those who have such vehicles. What is the point of having them if you don't want them seen? I remember reading about the guy who owns the "Bullitt Mustang". He has the same attitude. It makes no sense to me but hey...what do I know.

#23 ·
The guy owns a couple dozen or more collector cars, all historically significant and valuable. He often attends events like Carlisle and Columbus all Ford. The XR7-S and the black Dan Gurney XR7-G are both in dirty, tired, unrestored condition. He doesn't want to give tours of them, nor field phone calls from people who want to buy them at any price, because he does not want to sell them at any price. He's owned them since new.

#24 ·
Jon and I were hoping to meet up with him last year at one of the local car show, but it never happened. We'll try again this year...right Jon?? By the way how is your health doing?

#25 ·
Hi Brian, thanks for asking. I haven't had anymore passing out spells since last Aug. I think I went through every test they could throw at me, and they found nothing. I'm just going to blow it off as stress related. Back to the topic(sorry guy's)yes we will try it again and see what happens. I'm not sure how to approach him about it, but will ask if ever plans on showing these cars again. Our maybe ask him about doing a story about him and his involvement with Fords, and how he had the insight back then to collect all these super rare cars. I hope he's still around. ClawIt, was that a picture taken at the 1980 Ford World Headquarters show? Or are you related some how to, o.k. just for name sake lets just call him Joe. Are you?

#26 ·
No, I'm not related to Joe. I took pictures of it at the 1980 show. I have the pictures somewhere in the house but can't find them right now. About 15 years ago I had scans made and I emailed them to Mr. Pinkerton, he may still have them. The car was in great shape at that time. That fiberglass hood and 69 XR7 type front leather buckets are sweet. He even let me sit in it.

#28 ·
That was a big Shelby event also, I think SAAC had their yearly convention there. The 'S' was sitting off by itself in the parking lot and really wasn't getting that much attention so I think "Joe" was happy that I showed so much interest and drool over the car. He said the car was put together for Henry Ford II and ol' HF would cruise Woodward on weekend nights looking for alittle run now and then. If the old memory is functioning HF gave it back to whomever when the 69 Eliminators came out. Its a shame if it hasn't been kept up.

While we are on these one of a kind threads who owns the 'G' at the Henry Ford Museum? The sunroof company?

#29 ·
The car was donated to the Henry Ford by American Sunroof Corporation (ASC) after the death of Heinz Prechtor.

That was a big Shelby event also, I think SAAC had their yearly convention there. The 'S' was sitting off by itself in the parking lot and really wasn't getting that much attention so I think "Joe" was happy that I showed so much interest and drool over the car. He said the car was put together for Henry Ford II and ol' HF would cruise Woodward on weekend nights looking for alittle run now and then. If the old memory is functioning HF gave it back to whomever when the 69 Eliminators came out. Its a shame if it hasn't been kept up.

While we are on these one of a kind threads who owns the 'G' at the Henry Ford Museum? The sunroof company?

#35 ·
Cool, I'm going to look for that copy in my old magazines. Thats about the time I started to subscribe to it, then I let it run out when they changed formats or closed shop. Can't remember. ClawIt heres a little tidbit about the Henry Ford Muesum xr7-G, this from the cougarxr7g.com website.<TABLE border=0 width="48%" cols=2><CAPTION align=bottom><CENTER> XR7-G at the Henry Ford</CENTER></CAPTION><TBODY></TBODY></TABLE>

#41 ·
Thanks. Its in great shape. I was told that its parked by an outside wall with a double door?????

#40 ·
I found one picture, here is the rear with the moldings. Didn't Mustangs Un offer this molding?
Check out the rear valance with that rolled edge on the cut-out.

Attachments

#39 ·
Is it possible there was more than one XR7S constructed?

There was the show car and then perhaps Henry Ford II had them pull a production Cougar and outfit it like the XR7S/Dan Gurney show car for his personal use.
I believe there was more than one built. I have the book, Cougar: A Source Book, and on page 32 there is a B/W picture of it. Comparing it to the photo in the SF article that you posted, the XR7-S showcar has the molding on the taillights, the exhaust have tips that look like the ones on Mustang GT's and go through the rear valance, it has no radio antenna, XR-7S license plates, hash marks on the rear of each rocker panel and driver and passenger side mirrors mounted on each fender. John

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.