Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

I'm new to the forum, new to my Cougar (got it from my aunt who was the only owner) and have a couple of questions. My first is around acceleration.

She had everything under the hood replaced after an engine fire a few years ago. Car runs great (though a bit rich), but doesn't have much power in acceleration. I can get up to about 70 before I start to feel a shimmy in the steering wheel.

Is this normal? Can it be adjusted? Not that I need to be doing 90mph down the freeway, but the power thing kind of bugs. It takes me quite a while to get up to 60.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
BTW, my cat is a '68 XR7, with Merc-o-Matic automatic.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Welcome to the group.
What engine & carb do you have?
In general I would start by check pionts (both condition not pitted and gap), Timeing, condition of plugs & gap, then look at carb (float level, does it leak gas and/or air) is air cheaner filter clean. Just general tune up stuff.

The shimmy could be tire ballance, alinement or just plain worn out parts. Try tires first then have front end shop evaluate front suspension.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm pretty sure it's a 302, and a Holly 2bbl carb, but other than that I don't know. This is where I play the "I'm just a girl" card. I swear I need a "car maintenance for dummies" book, not to mention to find a mechanic (in the SF Bay Area) who can work on my cat.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I've met some girls/wemon who can do more quality mechanical than most men ever hope to. I would recomend a shop manual for this car. They are indexed and have pictures. I stared repairing by asking the mechanic to let me watch him tune the car the first time. I then got tools needed and would do it myself.

The main thing is don't be intimidated by prospect of trying to do something your self. It actually becomes fun over time (well at least not as painfull.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts