Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello, can anyone tell me what the material is they used to insulate the air conditioning
lines where they connect at the firewall. It appeared to be some kind of tar like substance when I removed it during my restoration. Any one know what it is called and where I can buy it, I sure would appreciate the info. This is a 68 Cougar GT.

Wayne

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
NAPA has rolls of it for around $20. I believe it's real name is Prestite Tape, but "gooey black AC insulation tape" should work.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
This is the stuff:
http://www.amazon.com/DIVERSITECH-6-330-FEET-CORK-INSULATION/dp/B00062WCZ8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1336914983&sr=8-2 Probably more than one would ever need (and getting it local as Bob suggests might be more convenient).

I had added AC to my first home and had most of a 30 foot roll left over. I used it to replace seam sealer on floor pan seams, seat risers and by cowl "saddle bags" (in front of door hinges on 69/70's), all the places where a heavy black seam sealer was (I believe) originally sprayed. Then of course when I put the AC together, I had some for the expansion valve area too!

With stories like these, how can I ever see my way clear to giving up being a pack rat?

·
Registered
396 Posts
If all else fails, you can get it from Classic Auto Air. They are out of Florida. I got a upgrade kit from them for a 1968 XR7 that originally had air conditioning but lost it along the way. Ron Mineo is the guy I dealt with there, really knows his way around the A.C. Of these cars and others.
Charlie

1 - 5 of 5 Posts