Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Removed ac compressor as was seized. Fomoco model hg1000' sn# A415362B68, part # C8AA2875A1. Not sure if York or tecumeseh.

Can I rebuilt or get replacement with core swap? 68 f code cougar xr-7, 302-2v soon to be 4v. Getting warm in Nebraska soon..I hope. Any help appreciated. Thanks Mike

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
I just checked WCCC website and it lists a York compressor with the same part number that you list without the A1 at the end. John

·
Registered
200 Posts
Remanufactured: York Compressor - Four Seasons Part # 57056
$125.38
http://www.amazon.com/Four-Seasons-57056-Remanufactured-Compressor/dp/B000C2Q7CG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1299569958&sr=1-1

New: York Compressor - Four Seasons Part # 58056
$206.51
http://www.amazon.com/Four-Seasons-58056-Compressor/dp/B000C2STZE

1. York Compressor [Doesn't have a smooth cover on the top (2's right side)]
1.jpg

2. Tecumseh Compressor (looks like it has a smooth cover on the right side).

2.jpg

Someone with actual experience with both will have to confirm though.

Just want to add, you know you are going to need R12 to run decently right? Hope you had someone reclaim your old R12 to put back in.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Got mine at Advanced Auto, traded the old one (core) in and had it back up and pouring cold air in about 90 minutes. Also, converted to R134 at the time too. That R134 isn't as cold though, still better than no air at all...progress, ain't it great?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looking at WCCC replacement compressor for $85.00. Sounds like have to go through it or rebuild. Also has anyone used the R12 substitutes? Better that R134a in this system?

·
Registered
113 Posts
A HG-1000 should be a Tecumseh compressor. The York will also work fine as they were both used on Mustangs and Cougars 67-73.

Converting to R134A with an original unit like the ones Ford used in 67-68 is pretty straight forward.
Recommended steps to converting your Ford R12 air conditioning system to 134a.

Systems w/o Suction Valve
Minimum Requirements

• Change or restore the filter-drier.
  • Drain the compressor oil and recharge with 134a compatible oil. (PAG or Ester Oil)
  • Insure that the system is clean and free of contaminants (Depending on component condition, this may be a simple matter of blowing out with compressed air or liquid flushing with an air-conditioning flushing agent)
  • Replace or restore all rubber hoses with barrier hose.
  • Install 134a charge port adapters.
  • Charge with 134a between 70-80% of the original R12 charge amount.
  • Replace any o-rings with 134a compatible.
Keep in mind with your original condenser you are limiting the effectiveness of your AC system. R134A runs a higher heat load on the condenser and that can equate to warmer air temps coming out of the vents.
Ideally you would want to replace the original condenser with a modern version such as a parallel flow. Here at Classic Auto Air we have reproduced the 67-68, 69-70, and 71-73 Mustang and Cougar condensers in a modern parallel flow design yet retaining the original condenser mounting locations and stock drier mounts. I have this condenser on my 70 Cougar.
70 COUGAR INSTALL 012.jpg

This is a picture of my rad. support with our parallel flow version of the 69-70 condenser.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Also has anyone used the R12 substitutes? Better that R134a in this system?
I've used FR-12 in several cars and one can is enough to cool you down. R134 can eat away at the condenser. I had to fix my house air conditioner and used FR-22 instead of R-22. I put in about a pound less and the temp gets down alot faster. They advertise that you'll use less energy.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts