Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Y'all...Got me a chicken-and-egg question for Youse Gice...

I need to replace my rear glass (it's leakin' bad right now...), and so have a few questions:

1) This is really stupid, but it also needs a paint job...is it better to replace the window BEFORE the paint job, or after it???
2) If I do it AFTER it, how much of a pain in the tucas is it gonna be to put the window stainless trim back in there with potentially hardened sealer gunk?
3) What IS the proper "sealer gunk" to use?
4) I'm anal enough about my baby (can I get a witness???) that I want to take the old window out myself, clean up and de-rust (I haven't seen it, but I know it's in there...) the frame, then reinstall it so it doesn't leak (since the current window was added by a dude in Placerville CA that had to redo it 5 (COUNT 'EM, FIVE!!!) times to get it right....and it leaks again 4 years later.
5) is it possible for a relative glass-replacement fool to do it?
6) I know the manual says to do it with string in the channel and pull it into the car that way, sounds good, but the guy who did the glass said that isn't necessary anymore (but then, look at his results :angryfi: )
7) Are there any things I should be aware of going into this?
8) If I replace my headliner, should I do that BEFORE the window is replaced (keep in mind, I'd rather not take out the front window for the headliner, that window's not leaking (finally).

Lastly, should I just take it to some place in the LA Area that you locals know does a good job? I really HATE leaks...ALOT...and if I wanted water in the car, I woulda stayed in Northern California, for crissake.

Anyway, thanks for letting me rant/vent/scream/cry/wail/and ball like a baby...

Ummmm...any advice??? :confused:

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
1. Before the paint. That way, if you need to do more fixing you can without a conscience issue.

2. Won't be a pain to remove the trim after. For me.

3. I dunno. I didn't use any gunk on the rear window. Just a good quality window rubber gasket from our friends at John's Cougar Central!
It sealed fine for the last 10 or so years.
4. maybe

5. Maybe

6. Get yourself a window gasket tool for about 20 bucks. It'll come right out.

7. Yes. Old glass gets more brittle the older it gets. Be careful. Treat it like a windshield made of crystal.

8. Take the glass out, then do the headliner. My headliner installer worked around the windshield, but gave me a price break for having the rear window out.

Just take it somewhere. That way you can make them do it again if they screw it up.

Funny. I'm doing all this right now to my cat too...

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
Oh, and put some clear silicone caulk around the bottom corners and bottom edge of the trim to seal it off. Water puddles there and will give her cancer like a mofo.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts