Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
here, goes to show you the type of areas that i live around. i found this in a parking lot of a Pizza Hut in Paramount. its on Alondra Blvd near Lakewood if any locals want to check it out. its sad really. except for under the vinyl top and the lower doors, it looks rust free. the floors even looked rust free. ( no carpet in it. ) there was no engine in it, but it was just an H code. there was no door sticker on it though. interior was trashed, but the body looks pretty complete. heres my question.. DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW TO LOOK IN POSSIBLY GET AHOLD OF AN ABANDONED VEHICLE? this one looks like something that i would like to tear up and make my street machine out of. here are a few pics too... just hope Logan and Rick dont take offense to it... after all, it made me consider building up a 70. he he :D

Attachments

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
yes, those are a set of doors inside it. dont know from what though

Attachments

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
back shot. lights are in decent shape. might make good cores for cutting.... ( no really, theyhave a few broken ribs )

Attachments

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
and one ,more to show the decent door panels in it. dirty, but overall ok

Attachments

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
by the way i did take the Vin number down. i just want to maybe get it before its towed and the next tiem i see it is in the junkyard in pieces

·
Registered
210 Posts
Hey Sixt9!

I have some experience with this situation. When I was an MP we used to come accross abandoned vehicles all the time. we had a service number to call that dealt strictly with abandoned auto's. The same applies now as the police department where I live has a contact that deals stricktly with abandoned auto's. You're best bet is to take the info you have and contact the local PD and ask them what thier process is for aquiring an abandoned car. They most likely have someone that deals with them specifically. You can also contact the DMV with the license plate number and VIN and try to locate the owner. Hope some of this helps.

One more thing! If it does get towed try to find out what yard it get's put in. A lot of times liens will be placed on vehicles and you can purchase them for the price it cost the yard to store the car!

·
Registered
300 Posts
Come on sixt9coug ~

This is SoCal.. and Paramount is LA county... damn near in compton. What ya need to do is drag it to your house, apply for a lien yourself saying that it was there when you moved in and nobody would take it without papers and nobody would claim it.

:devil:

Robert

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
he he he, dont think that i havent thought of that. after i got here a buddy told me " Cmon!! lets get a tow truck, nobody will miss the car!" but i want to own this legally and if it someones project, i would rather not just steal it from them. hell, worse comes to worse, i can part the car to you guys and make a lil cash for me :).its rough, but it looks like someone just yanked the engine and carpet and ditched it there. sure its damn near Compton, but hey, they like their cars too. one car we used to refer to as the "Alien car" ( a 70 Cougar, with some, err distinctive features ) was about 3 blocks from this car. well see. im gonn ahead out there and see what i can dig up on the car.

·
Registered
300 Posts
yeah yeah yeah, legalities... sheesh.

By the way.. which one of you fellow california punks ordered this rain? how am I supposed to pull the engine and make under the hood all pretty when it's raining in the driveway? shiznit!

Robert

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
dont look at me, my cougar has pretty fresh paint, it hasnt touched rain yet. i dont want it to either. but hey, i see sun out now :) the Cougar dislikes rain. too much wheelspin

·
Registered
300 Posts
Yeah, I saw the sun too... for like 3 minutes... then it wussed out and went back to it's mama behind the clouds...

guess I won't be pulling the engine and painting under the hood this weekend afterall..

crap crap crap...

Robert

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
heres an update... i went to the mini mall where it is and talked to the manager in the Pizza hut. he claims that an older man owns the car. hes not sure though. he directed me to this body shop across the street to see what he knows. the body shop guy didnt know anthing about the car. doh ( on the plus side he seemed intruiged about the MG in my grandmas garage ) then i went to the 99cent place in the pic and the guy working there said the same thing about an older guy possibly owning it. he also said the car was there for about a week. then i went to the Paramount police station where they ran the plates and it brought up nothing ( ? ) they also said that they dont have jurisdiction over where the car is. so i went to the Bellflower station where they said they wouldnt run the plate or VIN number for me. if the girl working there wasnt so cute, i probably would have been more dissapointed. he he. She also said that since the car is technically on private property, they wont be the ones to tow the car. the property owner is the one responsible for that. i may have to make a few "complaint " calls about that old white car they have out there to make its towing happen a little quicker . then to find the impound yard it goes to and make a deal with them i guess. :D well, well see. i never thought that i would be motivated enough to do all of this for a 70 of all things. lol like ive said alot. free is better than good. well, free or really really cheap :D

by the way, i left a note on the dash of the car to see if i can get ahold of the owner. ill continue to pursue this vehicle until it no longer is around. either in my garage or the junkyard, i wont stop.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
INTERESTING, A DAY FOR THE 70

:rolleyes: I THINK I MIGHT DO A 70 COUGAR AS WELL. A FRIEND OF MINE JUST BOUGHT TWO COUGARS. A 69 XR7 AND A 70 XR7. THE 69 IS MISSING A DOOR AND FENDER AND HE IS GOING TO TAKE THE ENTIRE 69 351W DRIVE TRAIN ( REAR AXLE TO RADIATOR ) TO PUT IN A 69 MACH 1.. A SAD TALE, BUT HE IS A MUSTANG GUY AND HAS NO INTEREST IN COUGARS EXCEPT FOR THE PARTS THEY PROVIDE FOR MUSTANGS.. THE 70 IS MISSING A DOOR GLASS ( NEEDS FLOOR PANS ) AND THE ENGINE.. AFTER HE IS DONE; I MAY BUY BOTH TO GET ANDY USEABLE REMAINING PARTS FROM THE 69 AND THE 70 MAY BE A PROJECT CAR FOR ME AS I HAVE NEVER DONE ONE..WE'LL SEE!:D

67 289 4-SPEED TRANS AM RACER
69 CONVERTIBLE 351W
69 SPORTS SPECIAL 351W DAILY DRIVER

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
UPDATE -- talked to the guy at the 99 cent store place in the background and gave him the card for the towing place and my phone number. he said he will relay the message to the actual property owner and he will let him know which yard i want it towed too. i tried to get the Pizza Hut guys to tow it, but they didnt seem to want to. i think they were skeered :( in the meantime im not too happy because it seems that people are starting to rape the Cougar of its parts.... the taillights and the gas door are gone already. DOH!!!!!!!!!! only like $30 at the swap meet for more taillights, but the gas door wont be cheap... will fit into my pocket should i see one at the junk though......

·
Registered
669 Posts
Sheeesh...Only in CA can you find an abandoned classic in a parking lot and it's practically rust free!!!!!
If that was here near Miami, the car would have large amounts of rust on all horizontal surfaces, especially the roof and hood. If that's not enough, the car would have also been used for martial arts practice and possibly target practice!!

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
oh yeah, the floors are rust free. there is a small patch in the drivers side door. the roof has its share under the top though. thats all that has me worried. other than that this is an easy cosmetic resoration for me. once i can get the car and evaluate the roof cancer, ill see how it goes from there. if its too bad ill put a new vinyl top on. id rather have this one without the top though.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
UPDATE-- hmm this has been taking its sweet ass time. people from the neigborhood are starting to pick at the car. thats not making me happy. i still want to get the car. but due to the locals and teh reluctance of the shop owners to help me tow it, i feel that when and if the car is in my possesion i will part it out. if anyone wants parts off of it, i will start to make a tentative list of what is wanted and what is useable off of the car at all. a few select pieces i may be greedy with and keep for myself and to put on Ebay ( i am broke, sorry ) but most everything else is up for grabs. the right fender is spoken for already, however the marker light that is in it is not. nor do i believe that the 1/4 extension is. taillights have been stolen so has the radio and carpet and the engine along with the export braces umm, what else is gone... the front bumber valance and gravel guard seem to be thrashed. the backup lenses have cracks in them but ive seen worse. hood grill seems ok, but one rib is cracked. its still attached though. the rest of the grill looks ok. hood looks fine as well. drivers door has rust but not really any other rust on the car with the exception of the roof. floors look good too. trunk trim has a few dings, but hell, id use it. duno, let me know what you think people. oh yeah, the hard dash is spoken for too.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts