Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
LOL! Just checked the firing order, my engine is runing on the 302 firing order! Now, it looks like a stock engine, so I am sure it's not a 302 cam. Is there any sure way I can tell? Thanks!

Chris

·
Registered
123 Posts
You can't verify the cam by looking at the engine. If it has the 302 firing order, the odds are way good that it does have a 302 cam.
At TDC the following valves should be fully closed:

302 cam
#1 int #1 exh
#7 int #5 exh
#8 int #4 exh

351w cam
#1 int #1exh
#4 int #3 exh
#8 int #7 exh

this will confirm which cam you have, hope this helps.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Webbed Feet

If its a 69, then it should have come standard with a 351W. Anyhow, look at the back of the block, if its a Windsor, there should be two webbed type flanges coming off the block (near the top of the back of the intake manifold) running into the top of the bellhousing, almost like ribs. Also, the intake manifold on a Windsor, is a good 2 inches wider than a 302, if that helps any?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Here's what I do

On a 302 if you look at the front of the motor where the timming cover meets the the block. the seam between the head and block runs next to the edge of the timming cover. On a 351 there's a 1/2'' or so between the seam where the head meets the block and where the timming cover meets the block. Hopes this makes sence, I'm tired and can't think of a better way to explain it. If you look at a few engines it should become clear. :D
Mark

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, Dawn, I checked the timing cover, and it looks like it IS a 302! I am so pissed right now, its not even funny! :D Is there anything good about the 302 over a 351? Or is it just kind of a cruiser, drive grandma to church engine? My poor Cougar, it started out in life with a 351 4bbl, and ended up with a 302 2bbl.

That old man who sold it to me is gonna get it tomorrow! hehe, He told me it was all original.

Your positive if the crease in the head/block is right where the cover is, its a 302 right?

Is there any other way I can tell? Thanks again guys!

·
Registered
2,145 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Don't hang your harp on the willows over your 302 man! There's no substitute for cubic inches to make big power, but the difference between 302 and 351 is only 49 cubes; now the difference between 302 and 427 cubes.... = big power. My 302 is around 400hp, but has a fairly non-civilian cam etc... My point is that you can make power with your 302, it's just that it takes some buildup. You can make 400hp with a big block without much of a buildup at all!!

If I were more serious about all this go-fast stuff, I'd be going big block, period.

Ron.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
302's are a bit easier for parts acquisition too...

Me, if I had a 302, Holley makes a kickass little roots style street blower kit for it that's relatively inexpensive.... :)

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I ripped the valve cover off, and stamped on the head is "302" :cry: . That dirty old man told me this car was original! If it was original it'd have my 351 in it. :cry: :cry:

·
Registered
160 Posts

Hey I wouldn't beat myself up about owning a 302 instead of the 351. The 302 is a very respectable long lasting engine that shows it can hold a ton of potential they respond very well to minor upgrades like heads cam intake and if you really want horspower stroke that baby or pick up a 351 block and build you one bad mutha...:)

·
Registered
216 Posts
I guess the only question now is whether or not the old man who told you it was all original was being deceptive or just ignorant. Ignorance is understandable, malicious deception to get a few more $$ out of a car to me is unacceptable. It's just not the way us Americans should be doing business with each other. Could it be possible that in 1969 there was some remaining 302's from 68 that were offered?? What does your vin # indicate for the engine?

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
There should not have been any 302s installed from the factory in '69, besides the Boss302. However, as others have said, the 302 is a good little motor. In fact, it is pretty common to see transplanted 302s in Cougars. The parts are cheap and they made a ton of them, especially in the 70s.

What is your plan for the car? If you just want a cruiser, nothing wrong with a 302. If you wanna make big power, trade for a 351W block. There are plenty of those available too.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My VIN number said it was a 351W 4V. Now its a 302 2V. I would like the car to be more then a cruiser.

How should I go about getting another 351?

I really should have checked this out. The reason I am so pissed, is because I paid $2600 for the car BECAUSE it was all original and it had 93k miles. But obviously both are false. So I got screwed.

:cry:

If I keep the 302 what are some cheap things I can do to it to get some power out of it? The car does seem slow, which I thought was odd for a 351. Is this engine worth building up? Or should it be rebuilt? I am coming to believe it is a 1973 302, so it didn't come out of a Cougar.

Chris

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
Chris, 302's up to '75 or so are better, so you have a decent motor to stroke. After 75 they had smogger heads (thermactor stuff) and went to lower compression. If you are concerned about original numbers matching, then find a 351W and rebuild it the way you want, and keep the 302 until the 351W is built. Or build the 302 into a stroker (like the link I sent you last night) and buy my dual 4 intake, and make one screaming 302 that will be 200 pounds lighter then a 351W, easier to work on, ie, smaller, and maybe even fuel injection or a Shelby paxton unit.
I dont think you should be upset on the 302, but being screwed like you say would pi$$ me off too. You can do lots with a 302 now, so think before you find a 351W. But thats just me.

Like my friends say, if your going to change motors, get a big block, dont waste your time on a small block,lol.

Rick

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
All original, execpt for the carburator I was told. But oh well. And on top of that. The pass. side of the engine has a ticking noise under the valve cover, and a Ford guy who just looked at it said, it could be many many things! Are these engines adjustable?

Thanks all, I am still lost on what to do. Because now I was told that the engine is runing like it is tired. Rough, and now with the ticking noise. And a couple people even think it has a miss to it.

What a pile lol! :cry: :cry:

Thanks again, Chris

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
I would be giving that old man the Roy D Mercer treatment.
I bet he knew all about it. Scare the crap out of him.
mention the word lawyer. He owes you a 351!!!

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
lol Bowl.

Hey Rick, here is the casting code, had to pull the starter to get it.

D4DE-6015-AA

Chris

1 - 20 of 70 Posts