Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I havent gotten to race much of anything that has possed a challenge to me yet but here goes.
took out a
91 topez
97 sunfire 5 speed
93 dodge daytona turbo
kept up with a 98 trans am from 80mph-125mph
left a cop car in the dust hehe :xoli:
96 dodge avenger turbo 4 banger

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
racing on the street is not only dagerous but irresponsible if your need is for speed do it where your not going to wipe out a family in a minivan. thats why they make race tracks! sorry to be preachy but i had freinds killed in a street race i know first hand the horror it brings go to the track and race where when something goes wrong and it will you can be treated. you can also race cars in your class which is a much more meanifull win then a v8 against 4 cylinders.

·
Registered
44 Posts
not to split hairs or anything, but nothing was mentioned about racing on the street....he just said those are what he had raced....

i cant personally picture a 91 topaz at a track, but it could happen...

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
He also stated that he ran away from the cops. I don't recall having seen any police chasing me when I've run at the track.

Take it to the track! You can kill a family, kids, wives, etc. Not to mention spend the rest of your life in jail. Think about it! Wanna show how cool you or your ride is? Take it to the track where you can have time slips to prove what you did!

·
Registered
44 Posts
in my part of the world, they have days where you can race cops at the track for fundraising....

again, i agree that everyone should race on the track, but everyone also needs to get more info before preaching about things that he may already be doing, ie, going to the track...

·
Registered
168 Posts
I agree

You can pay a small fee (alot less than a ticket) and run the crap out of your car without worry of flashy lights. Its a real wierd experience. Also if something happens to your car there are people with tools and no how to help you out.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This racing did take place on a stree but it is an abonded stretch of road that no one goes on except to race. when i ran from the cops that one time i really had no choice. i had a friend with me, and he was stupid and brought some drug paraphanalia with him, i was giving hima ride to his house after a party he had gone to. i didnt want him to get cought, or get my ass in trouble, even tho i dont like what he does aka the durgs.. all i did was haul ass up the backroad with the cop on my ass and lost him goin down the other side of the hill and hid at his place the rest of the night. I would never run from a cop under any other situation, i was just paying my friend back a favor. I also will not race stop light to stop light either for one the closest town to me that has stoplights is a colledge town with litteraly hundered of students on the street at all times. and there are countless cops. i dont want to be responsible for injuring or killing someone. and as for me racing all these 4 bangers, thats all that is around here, except for a few older chargers, a gt350, 2 32 fords, and a few select others, i have asked them to race but they declined. the only other v-8 vehicals in this area are pick up trucks.

I'm sorry if i made any of you angry, all i ask is that you understand why i did what i did. I'm not out to cause trouble, or kill anyone, or anything. the only place i race is on that abandoned road out in the middle of no where. and for safty we always take a cell phone with us incase someone does get hurt.

thanks you
Joel

·
Registered
44 Posts
ok, good...now we have all the facts....

again, i do agree about racing on a track, and no where else....thanks for letting us know all the info badass...

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Wish we had some old abandoned roads here to test the cats on, well now that I have Ruby I do, I would actually like to do a 1/4 mile with her, cos' she was obviously built for it, but also do not feeling making a total ass of myself out at a track with tons of people watching. They have open days at the race track where you pay minimal bucks and then you can do your own thing, but I will have the disadvantage of being female, with a mean sounding quite rare car, and there is no way I will have the chance to just do my thing without an audience. I want to learn how to do a fast pullaway, without spinning, I want to know if I get to high speed if I can hold the car straight, and not swerve all over the place, basically I want to haul ass without being an ass.
Speed does not bother me at all, but losing control does.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah speed is very fun, it just takes practice to be able to controll it. It doesnt matter if your male or female, i have seen some very good female drivers that would give me a run for my money. All i can say is practice. dont worry if you make an ass of your self the first few times, just come baack keep trying and dont give up. soon you will be able to handle your car great get great launches with out spinning out and get some great 1/4 mile times. i can give you one hint. when you launch dont just put it to the floor right away unless you have some big fat slicks on. practice just launches in an old parking lot with no ohter cars in it. just try differant rpms untill you get it just so.. good luck to you and your car, its awsome to see a woman into classic cars!

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
Dayle, ever heard of Shirley Muldowney (sp) she's the fastest chick on wheels. There is a movie on her life (Heart like a wheel) I havent seen ot for along time.

And racing has its place, and we all know NOT to street race. But if you do, please dont go onto any forum and brag. You will get slammed so fast, it will make your car look slow :) Ive seen people brag on other forums, and they never lived it down, and the insults keep coming, even if the post is 3 months old. Its great to race another car when the oportunity arises, but to save face, keep it quiet.

Rick

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
When i was in high school we used to race on the back streets too. lots of "the champagne of beers" too, i remember the old miller bottles. we were very lucky no one got hurt. but it was mostly park and drink millers, not much racing. I look back and see a stupid person.

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
bowl said:
When i was in high school we used to race on the back streets too. lots of "the champagne of beers" too, i remember the old miller bottles. we were very lucky no one got hurt. but it was mostly park and drink millers, not much racing. I look back and see a stupid person.

Wow That sounds exactly what we used to do in Detriot....
And I also look back and see that stupid guy... Man when I look back on it ... I am amazed that I'm still here

Don:eek2:

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
im still a little stupid sometimes

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
I hear ya brudda

Don

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
all this is making me very thirsty

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
I don't have that far to look back, but there's an idiot there, too... 120 mph on two-lane with bald, 10-year-old 195/70/14s, around noon.... how did I survive high school?

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Rick, thanks for the name of that video, will see if I can find it, if not at the video store I am sure I will find it somewhere, we are meeting more and more people that have classic cars by the day, its amazing what a difference having two makes, we have even been invited to join the sportscar club of...........you know where. They don't only have modern cars, also classic, guess if they only had modern ones the club would be quite small.
Badass76, will take your advice, when it comes to spinning the back tyres i am pretty good, and thats without even trying, those damn things spin for nothing, which will not help if I sit at the start line, making a helluva noise and getting nowhere. There is an old parking lot area that I have seen people use for learners, paractising their parking etc. {We have one of the strictest driveing tests around, everyone dreads it], its pretty big so I could find a nice out of the way corner and start practising. First official little time slip I will post here, and then lets watch it improve.......................!

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
You could always do a brake stand in 2nd gear if you get spin in 1st or drive. Get the rpm's up to about 2200rpm and go from there. If it spins, try it in 2nd.

Rick

1 - 20 of 23 Posts