Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"A Question of Parts and Pieces"

I wish to express my thanks to you guys for all the help you've given me and my project by answering "A Question of Balance" for me. Your assistance and guildance are very much appreciated and, your are all, good men.

As I understand it, there are several differences between the 302W and the 302 HO. One is the factor of "imbalance weights", 28ozs on the 302W and 50ozs on the 302 HO and I'm not sure of the 351W motor's "imbalance weight" (but it may not be necessary for me to have that information, anyway). These different weights, incorporated into both the dampeners and the flywheels of each of the engine types are the primary reasons that there are two different dampeners and two different flywheels. But, in regards to the flywheels, in addition to the weight differentials, there is also a difference in the size of these flywheels, a 302 HO's having a larger diameter than a 302W; which necessitates a change in the "starter motor's" location in order to accomadate this larger flywheel's diameter size which, in turn, makes a different bellhousing necessary, too.

With that said and now, being as it is, that I am "associated" (lol) with the kind of "good men" that you are... it is with no small amount of embarrassment that I admit to you that I am still somewhat in the dark as to what the solution to this situation is, as I am not exactly clear on what the right combination of parts and pieces are, that I must use in order to run a 302 HO in a "68" Cougar utilizing the original 302W 4-speed flywheel, the original bellhousing and, as far I am concerned, any harmonic dampener that will work with the combination of parts that is needed (regardless of the pulley bolt count) would be just fine with me.

Please, if possible, would you clarify for me again, the parts list, as I would very much appreciate your effort in this matter and with my "thanks" to all those who gave of their time and their talents answ
ering "A Question of Balance", please know that I do very much appreciate your thoughts on the subject and for the "input" and information that you shared with me! It's been a great help and as I have said before, you are all "good men" and I do thank each of you for your time and trouble helping me with my project! Thank you.

Robert Paul Moran

·
Registered
913 Posts
Take your old 4sp. flywheel to a machine shop, and have it balanced to the 50 HO SPECIFICATION. as prev. mentioned. They will have to add weight, but any good shop should be able to do this!

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Or, I believe you can buy flywheels today that have removable/changeable weights so you could put a 50 oz. weight where there was a 28 oz. weight and vice versa.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Seafoam jcode

<dl class="userstats">
<dt>Join Date</dt><dd>Oct 2006</dd><dt>Location</dt><dd>Greenville, SC</dd><dt>Posts</dt><dd>567</dd></dl>

Re: A Question of Balance

I brought my '68 flywheel and the 5.0L flywheel down to a balance shop and had them rebalance the '68 flywheel to match the specs of the 5.0L flywheel. They welded on a piece of steel and finished balancing it by drilling out small amounts of material from it. This flywheel is hooked up to the 5.0L motor and C4 auto in my '68.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts