Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
No. The later 5.0 has a 50 oz. imbalance, the earlier 302 has 28. Running the wrong flywheel or balancer will destroy the engine.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When a H.O. dampener is retained, to run a 302 H.O. engine in a "67" Cougar in place of the stock "68" 302 wedge engine while retaining the "67" Cougar's automatic transmission flywheel and bellhousing, it is necessary to add additional "balancing weight" to the 302 wedge flywheel, a "balancing weight" increase, that is by... "chance"??... equal to the stock 302 wedge's balancing weight, resulting in a balancing-weight "total" that is approximately a "doubling" of the stock 302 wedge's "balancing weight", but is exactly what is needed to "balance" the H.O. motor, when the H.O. dampener is retained.
I am running a 302 HO engine in my "67" automatic Cougar, and, by re-drilling the 302 wedge's "V" belt pulley from a 3 bolt pattern to a 4 bolt pattern (plus totally removing the 302 wedge pulley's "centering" hub-flange and then "pinning" it in/ for "position'), allows all the 302 wedge V-pulleys to be installed and thus retaining the 302 wedge's "V" belt configuration. I am currently running this set-up with "tens of thousands" of miles on it.

Delima:
I wish to install a 302 HO into a "68" Cougar, but retain the "68" top loader 4-speed and I will find it impossible to "change" the "balance weight" of the stock "cast iron" 302 wedge 4-speed flywheel (to accomadate a 302HO engine's needs) and as I do not wish to have to change the bellhousing of the 302 wedge to accomadate the "larger in diameter" 302 HO manual transmission's flywheel (because, if I do, I will not be able to run the top-loader 4-speed transmission), I need to find a way to run a 302 HO engine in a "68" Cougar in place of the stock 302 wedge engine, while retaining the top-loader 4-speed transmission and it's 302 wedge "cast iron" flywheel and it's 302 wedge bellhousing. Whatever "type" of harmonic dampner used with this combination is acceptable, so long as it "functions" with this combo.
Does anyone know of a solution to this?

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
The 68 carries a 157 tooth flywheel.
Trying to use a 164 tooth flywheel in a 157 tooth bellhousing will make life miserable.
Professional Products makes a 3 bolt balancer that has a weight for either the 28 or 50 oz. imbalance.

·
Registered
913 Posts
All you need is to change the front balance to a 70 or later 351 W

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
All 351W are 28 oz imbalance.

All this talk about balance brings up an important point. Make sure your timing set cover matches your dampeners. I'm using my original '67 289 dampener and timing set cover on my 351W. If you mix and match timing covers and dampener, check your TDC mark. Timing tape may be necessary.

·
Registered
708 Posts
I brought my '68 flywheel and the 5.0L flywheel down to a balance shop and had them rebalance the '68 flywheel to match the specs of the 5.0L flywheel. They welded on a piece of steel and finished balancing it by drilling out small amounts of material from it. This flywheel is hooked up to the 5.0L motor and C4 auto in my '68.

I had to design and fabricate a 3 belt pully out of aluminum to mount to the 5.0L harmonic balancer. At the time (1988), I couldn't find anything on the market that would work. As I remember, the front face of the 5.0L balancer sits too far forward to allow the stock '68 pully to line up with all the other pulleys. This is in addition to the 3 bolt/4 bolt issue and the lip that sits on the front end of the 5.0L balancer.

·
Registered
913 Posts
All you need is to change the front balance to a 70 or later 351 W
If you want a three bolt balancer use a 69 351W if you want a four bolt use a 70W or later, that is all you need to go with the old flywheel and trany

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
The crank, balancer and flywheel need to have the same imbalance. robertpaulmoran wants to use a 302 HO with a 50 oz imbalance. He can't use a 351W balancer even if he uses his old flywheel.

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
If you want a three bolt balancer use a 69 351W if you want a four bolt use a 70W or later, that is all you need to go with the old flywheel and trany
Not if the original poster wants to use it on a 50oz imbalance 5.0HO! Best to use something like this that can be used for three- or four-bolt pulleys. That's if you're really set on using your stock pulley. OR you can just use a four-bolt pulley since it looks like the 4-bolt pulley spacers are MUCH cheaper. On my 393W, my stock 351W damper was slipping it's outer ring. I got the 28 oz version of the same thing I linked to you... I did have to stack two pulley spacers to get my desired spacing. Still, at $40 for both spacers, I think I made out....

·
Registered
913 Posts
I GIVE,,, Just do what seafoam jcode said he did.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts