Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Allright sorry in advance about the non cougar theme, but i need help. I found a 73 torino and it has an s-code engine. What is an s-code engine?

·
Premium Member
4,106 Posts
In 73 S is not a 390. It a 400 2V(from the 73 ford shop manual) Neal.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Neal is right... if im not mistaken, wasnt the last year for the 390 69?

·
Premium Member
4,106 Posts
I think it was still used in Galaxies/LTDs/Montereys as late as 1972.

Tim,
In the shop manuals I have it only lists a 390 up to 71. they only had 2V carbs and used the VIN code "Y" I don't have any light truck manuals but I think the 390 was in the F series trucks untell about 76. It's to bad the Torino didn't have the 429 thunder jet VIN code "N". It would have been about as close as you could get to a muscle car from ford in 73. Neal.;)

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
I think the 400 debuted in 72 with the engine code 'S'. I am 100% certain that my buddy's father had a 72 LTD with the 400. I remember rebuilding that engine at 110k mi and putting on a (this will show how long ago this was) Edelbrock SP2P-2V intake manifold. :eek: That and a Crane economiser cam (double- :eek: )! Anybody else remember those? 'Gas crisis' parts there! They had very small runners for higher velocity and supposedly better economy. It made gobs of low end torque! Just what every land yacht needs!

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks

Thanks all iwas told its a cleaveland so the 400 i guess is right.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts