Mercury Cougar Owners banner

A Little Mascara Please

877 views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  77snb 
#1 ·
I was looking at my '68 the other day and one thing that stands out is how my front grill and light covers are really gray looking. The chrome is actually still in really good condition so I was wondering how best to bring back the original nice look of the black between the chrome ribs. Has anyone seen a good how-to on refurbishing a Cougar grill?

#3 ·
Some guys use pinstripe tape to mask of the ribs......sounds like you could invite the buddies over for a beer and get that knocked out in a few hours! ;>0

#5 ·
3M vinyl masking tape works great on the ribs.

#6 ·
Last time I blasted/painted a HL door I took a piece of duct tape and carefully laid one side to the edge of a rib. Then I came along with a sharp single edged razor blade on the other side and cut the remaining tape away leaving a perfect width mask. Continued with this process and managed to mask the entire door off with just one strip of tape. Blasted lightly (the paint comes right off and I do mean right off). Painted and peeled the masking off soon after, came out great.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.