Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking at my '68 the other day and one thing that stands out is how my front grill and light covers are really gray looking. The chrome is actually still in really good condition so I was wondering how best to bring back the original nice look of the black between the chrome ribs. Has anyone seen a good how-to on refurbishing a Cougar grill?

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
SEM Trim Black is the paint to get.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Some guys use pinstripe tape to mask of the ribs......sounds like you could invite the buddies over for a beer and get that knocked out in a few hours! ;>0

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I'm hoping to make a video about the process, or at least take some pictures when I eventually do this to my grille and taillight bezels. Seems to be a commonly discussed topic.

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
3M vinyl masking tape works great on the ribs.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Last time I blasted/painted a HL door I took a piece of duct tape and carefully laid one side to the edge of a rib. Then I came along with a sharp single edged razor blade on the other side and cut the remaining tape away leaving a perfect width mask. Continued with this process and managed to mask the entire door off with just one strip of tape. Blasted lightly (the paint comes right off and I do mean right off). Painted and peeled the masking off soon after, came out great.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Spray the whole peice use wax & greese remover to wipe off chrome with a rag. Way eaiser than masking.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Spray the whole peice use wax & greese remover to wipe off chrome with a rag. Way eaiser than masking.
I've done that too (on most of my grill in fact), but I used lacquer thinner.

·
Registered
86 Posts
My grille had that gray look going on due to age but the paint looked very good with the exception of the fading. I just used spray on tire shine then wiped down the chrome bars and it looks great.
Brad

1 - 9 of 9 Posts