Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
last night I tackled the vinlyl on "Sandy" some..I'd been trying to remove the old dark stains on the parchment top, hoping I can keep her original and get a few more years out of her.

For the last week I've tried Brake Kleen, 409 with a stiff bristle brush (my favorite for vinyl cleaning), WD 40, etc..

But then yesterday I tried some dimishing paint polishing compound from Maguires..with a microfiber cloth, I'll be darned if it didn't do some good damage! Lots of compound, and swirling circular action. Boy are my arms tired!

Then, stupidly I'd attempted to rub some vinlyl dye into the spots the other evening. It looked terrible and too white, so I had to remove that stuff. The dye is EXTREMELY hard to remove. I'd do the whole top with it, but again, I want to preserve the originality of the car, so that is out. What I ended up doing was a result of accidental paint removal I've noticed in the past on painted steel parts-steel wool with Brake Kleen. This took the dye right off. Of course a black smudge results, but that comes right off with 409 and a microfiber cloth again.

The best thing for removing the actual stains, though, was that polishing/cleaner compound and good embow grease.

I have some smudges and spots remaining, but with a TON of 303 Aerospace vinlyl treatment on the top, It actually came out looking pretty darned good. The vinlyl really soakes up that stuff! The treated areas of stains actually came off better again once that 303 had soaked in for a while, too..repeat the process. Lather, rinse, repeat..

Just thought I'd mention it. Did I mention my arms are tired!?? :bloated:

·
Registered
121 Posts
Hi Brian,
Exactly which Maguire's cleaner/polish did you use and what is 409? I have a white convertible top on my 67 Mustang that has become dirty and slightly stained and also the interior of my 69 H code is need of some help too but have always been a bit nervous as to what to use on it. Anyone with any ideas? (We cannot obtain some of the better cleaning products in Australia that you have access to there.

Regards

Peter Lynn

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Peter, I believe the 409 that Brian is refering to is Formula 409. It's an all purpose cleaner, in a spray bottle. John

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Brian,
Is this dimishing paint polishing compound a cream or paste and wouldn't that be hard to take out of the pours of the vinyl? Im just picturing the same affect wax on black plastic trim would give.

As for the 303 Aerospace vinlyl treatment where do you get this? This sound like a great product and especially after using the Formula 409. The 409 can dry out vinyl and convertible tops, but the 303 sounds like the ticket.
When I was young, my dad had a 69 pontiac vert with a white top and the 409 and a brush was the best to clean.

Got some pictures of that freshened up top Brian?:)

·
Registered
121 Posts
Thanks for that 68PUMA. I don't think there's an alternative available here, while there are lots of different cleaners. If it's as good as I take it to be I may have to import some, unless it's going to contravene some Customs or security entity. Now I just need to know about the polish!

Regards

Peter Lynn

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Brian,
Is this dimishing paint polishing compound a cream or paste and wouldn't that be hard to take out of the pours of the vinyl? Im just picturing the same affect wax on black plastic trim would give.

As for the 303 Aerospace vinlyl treatment where do you get this? This sound like a great product and especially after using the Formula 409. The 409 can dry out vinyl and convertible tops, but the 303 sounds like the ticket.
When I was young, my dad had a 69 pontiac vert with a white top and the 409 and a brush was the best to clean.

Got some pictures of that freshened up top Brian?:)
Sorry for the delayed response..for some reason I can't get a response to post with my Blackberry lately..

The 303 Aerospace treatment is available at NAPA stores here, don't know for sure what you migh have in the stores in Canada?

I"m workin on pics. I got so busy workin' over the car yesterday that I didn't get around to much of anything else. Boy the treatment and cleaners just don't do the cracks and crevices without some good old fashioned tired fingertips and elbow grease! And I thought the interior was fairly clean!

Cheers,

B

1 - 7 of 7 Posts