Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I woke up this morning knowing I was going to look locally at a 1976 Buick Pace Car, and I am going to bed tonight the new owner of a "barn find" XR7-G with sunroof, 302, 4-speed. I won't bore everyone with the story of how it happened but it was something like an episode of American Pickers.....Anyway, the owner of the G showed me pictures, and the car was very nice when stored away over 20 years ago but will need some work now. It is all original and all the G parts are there - even the hood pins. Very little rust.

I know there are not many 4-speed G cars out there but those of you that have one, what did/does your shifter knob look like?

Thanks,
Fran

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Great find ! Is it a J code or a F code ? Please Post Pics....

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
79 Posts
pictures please!!! but in the hand I'm saying *.,?! but , great I'm glad for you hope you end restoring, mostly ENJOYING YOUR NEW TOY

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
I woke up this morning knowing I was going to look locally at a 1976 Buick Pace Car, and I am going to bed tonight the new owner of a "barn find" XR7-G with sunroof, 302, 4-speed. I won't bore everyone with the story of how it happened but it was something like an episode of American Pickers.....Anyway, the owner of the G showed me pictures, and the car was very nice when stored away over 20 years ago but will need some work now. It is all original and all the G parts are there - even the hood pins. Very little rust.

I know there are not many 4-speed G cars out there but those of you that have one, what did/does your shifter knob look like?

Thanks,
Fran
Congrats on your find. There were only 26 4 speed G cars total. Yours is only 1 of 3 with the F code/4 speed combo. Here's a link to pictures of the XR-7G 4 speed shifter knob and the XR-7G 4 speed shift pattern emblem. G shifter knob: www.cougarpartscatalog.com/g4spdknob.html & G shift pattern emblem: www.cougarpartscatalog.com/gpattern.html . John

·
Registered
301 Posts
Wow, very lucky find!!!! Well done!

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Well since you don´t want to bore us with the story and details, then we won´t be jealous of you ;) nice find :ylsup:

·
Registered
367 Posts
1 of 3 produced! You have to fill us in on the details of the find! And pics too, please...

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Wow congrats on the score. Amazing find for sure. Yes please pics and details. Very cool.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I will be taking a trailer to pick the car up in a few days. When I do, I will take pics and post details of how it all happened.

As far as the shift knob goes, due to the wealth of knowledge floating around here at MC.net, I was aware of Don's G shift knob and shift pattern placard before I ever looked at my new G. So, when I was inspecting the car, One of the things I was specifically looking for was the correct shift knob - and shift pattern placard. The shift knob presently in the car is brown plastic, what looks like used to be woodgrain with a shift pattern in the top. There was no shift pattern placard and no evidence of one ever being there. The car is mostly unmolested, which is why I was wondering what other manual G owners had. There are so few of them, I guess I will have to go with what was supposed to be on the car as correct.

Thanks,
Fran

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
Fran, it sounds like you are describing an XR7 shift knob. It was wood-grain plastic with a molded in shift pattern.

In looking at my copy of the registry, there are no F code 4 speed cars listed. Royce, of course, has the most up to date information. There are several J code cars listed.

If you have the VIN and would like me to check it against the registry I would be happy to do so. IF you don't want it on here publicly, send a PM.

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
Congrats on your find. There were only 26 4 speed G cars total. Yours is only 1 of 3 with the F code/4 speed combo. John
Where are you getting this information? Do you have build totals for the S code 4 speed G?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Where are you getting this information? Do you have build totals for the S code 4 speed G?
The info is from Royce's G website. There are 14 s code 4 speed Gs.

Bill, I just tried to PM you the info, it said your box is full.

Thanks,
Fran

1 - 20 of 54 Posts