Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am sure these are all repeat questions, but I wasn't able to locate a search function on the board, so bear with me here. I just have a few basic questions, since I am without an owners manual. Thanks for any info!

For starters, I have a '69 XR7 w/ a 351 4 barrel and a 3spd auto tranny. Here are a few of my questions:

1. What kind of gas should I be putting in this thing?

2. Where can I find the fuse box?

3. Is there supposed to be a cover over the back of the engine compartment area, at least near the top? I'll try to post a pic if that didn't make any sense.

4. I have a big gap between the front window seal and the rear window. Do I just have to tighten the window? This thing needs all new seals anyway...

5. I am trying to track down a rattle coming from somewhere in the back. Where do you think is the best place to start looking, or at least, how could I check to find out what it is?

6. When I start this puppy up it usually doesn't catch and I have to do it twice. Is there a way to adjust something so that it will catch smoother?

7. Are the headlight motors running on a vacuum of sorts? Thats what it sounds like...And with that asked, do I have to turn the lights off before I kill the engine?

All in all, this thing is a beauty. I will post pics later. Thanks for any answers you guys can provide, it's much appreciated. It's just that this is my first pre-'88 vehicle and its a lot different than what I am used to. But well worth it.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
The fuse panel is on the driver side, about were your left foot would be, then up on the firewall.
Head lights uses a vacuume motor. see "once around the cat" article. ill post the link

http://dkbush.cablenet-va.com/ccoa/newsletter.shtml

the link is towards the botton of the page, youll see it

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Awesome, thanks man :D

Now, out of those other questions, I am sure you have the answer to one more. What kind of gas you put in yours? I have a friend with a '67 302 who uses regular unleaded but do I need to put in a higher grade?

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
1. What kind of gas should I be putting in this thing?

The 69 4-bbl windsor, if it hasn't been rebuilt, is a 10.7:1 compression motor. Premium fuel is necessary, if not, you'll most likely be detonating due to the low octane.

2. Where can I find the fuse box?

It's underneath the dash on the drivers side, up against the firewall, kinda a pain to get to, you have to contort yourself pretty good to see it.

3. Is there supposed to be a cover over the back of the engine compartment area, at least near the top? I'll try to post a pic if that didn't make any sense.

Don't understand the question. There's a rubber hood to cowl seal, is that what you're referring to?

4. I have a big gap between the front window seal and the rear window. Do I just have to tighten the window? This thing needs all new seals anyway...

Huh?

5. I am trying to track down a rattle coming from somewhere in the back. Where do you think is the best place to start looking, or at least, how could I check to find out what it is?

Check at the bottom of each quarter panel in the trunk.

6. When I start this puppy up it usually doesn't catch and I have to do it twice. Is there a way to adjust something so that it will catch smoother?

The choke on the carb is probably sticking or needs adjustment. Go buy some carb cleaner and clean that sucker up. :)

7. Are the headlight motors running on a vacuum of sorts? Thats what it sounds like...And with that asked, do I have to turn the lights off before I kill the engine?

Yes, the headlight doors operate off engine vacuum. Close them before you shut off the engine if you want the doors to stay down.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts

I think this happens when 70 front and 69 rear glass is used together.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Re: Re: A few questions from the new guy.

Logan said:

Huh?

you mean the side windows right?? if you pull off the door panels you will see several bolts that secure the window regulator. those will control the alignment of the window. sounds like you may have to align the front and rear glass to get it right. of course this is assuming ( and probably is the reason ) that the glass hasnt come loose in the channels. the 69s had a one year only glued in glass. i bet the glass has come loose and thats whats throwing it out of whack. once its glued back in and all then that might be the best time to adjust it. where in Socal are you from by the way??? they sell adhesives like that where i work and that might help ya a bit. lemme know, but yeah, my computer is down and i might take a while to get back to you for that.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am in the San Diego area...know where Escondido is? I am one exit south in a town called Rancho Bernardo.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the info Logan...here's a pic of where I am referring to in the engine compartment...sorry its so big...

I'm just referring to where it looks all haggard and you can see those 4 bolts...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Yep, that's normal. Some cars looked nicer than others there... My advice is when the body work and paint is being done, spend some time grinding and sanding and prepping the area smooth. It'll look ten times better.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts