Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys.... Okay so where to start?? The problem is this within 60 hours my battery became flat.... the only changes made where the following:- The automatic choke was wired to the starter solenoid, Firewall side. I think that is right though??? but you tell me!! ;)
Secondly i replaced a bad fuse.... The fuse runs the vanity stuff in my XR7.... such as toggle switches on dash, open door lights, rear and front vanity lights, glovebox light, map lights, low fuel, belts, etc
Can anyone help me?? :) Point me in the right direction?? I have recharged the battery.... but i don't want to put it in for it just to drain again... Could you give me some possible causes so i can eliminate them one by one??
All help is extremely appreciated

Many Thanks

Stu :D

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
First question: By the firewall side of the solenoid do you mean the large post that goes to the starter? If so, you will need to move it since it is only hot when the key is in the start position. Not having an electric choke I cannot tell you for sure where it DOES go, but someone here will.

Second, re the battey: Remove the fuse. If the battery does not go down then you need to check that circuit for a drain/short.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hmmmm

It isn't connected to the big post but the little one on the front, i think it is marked with the letter I or the number 1?? hmmmm, as for the battery if it is that circuit how do i test for a short?? Sorry, i have limited skills in both electical and mechanical skills!! :p: Anyway thanks for the replies.... really appreciated!!

Stu :D

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Hi Stu,
The firewall side of the starter solenoid only has power when your ignition switch is in the start position (turning over the starter), the other side has power all the time (not good either!) It should be wired somewhere that only has power with the key on (not in start just on if possible). At the altenator is the best place. As for the battery going dead, replacing the bad courtesy fuse may lead you to your problem. On this old of a car the easiest way to check it is to put the battery in and attach the positive terminal but not the negative one. Put a test light from the negative side of the battery to the negative terminal (in series), if it lights (at all that is visible even dim) then you have a draw for sure and you can start narrowing it down. 1st I'd check all of the lights (interior,trunk,glove box,etc) then if you dont find it start pulling fuses 1 at a time. Whenever you locate the draw the light will go out.
Good luck!!
Scott

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
If its on the I terminal thats no good either, that should go to the coil + somewhere in the harness to supply a full 12v when cranking to make it start easier. Put it on a 12v key on source at the alternator.
Scott

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
I did a search of the site and here's what I came up with for your choke:

jimk351c said:
A while back there was a thread about where to hook up an electric choke. In that last thread, I think we came up with running a wire through the firewall to the fuse box to be the only option. A few days ago on the Yahoo Classic-Cougars forum, Ray Harwood posted exactly how to hook up the choke. He said to connect the choke feed line to the "stator" port on the back of the alternator. This will only provide power to the choke when the engine is running and not at any other time. I gave it a try today and my choke works great! If the car stalls, the choke closes to the pre-set position helping to aid in starting. Give it a try...

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
TheRktmn's post tells you the right thing to do with your elec choke, here's the wrong thing:
Do NOT hook your elec choke to the + terminal of your coil. Despite the warnings in coil installation instructions AND the distributor installation instructions (both from Accel) and my comments, my engine-building mentor did just that. The choke dropped the voltage enough to cause the electronic distributor to just cut out randomly. VERY FRUSTRATING to figure that out out!

·
Registered
258 Posts
i don't know if you checked it all, but be sure the battery is good, check it the next day while it's out to see if it's gone down. Look at the grommets on the firewall, if a wire wore down to the metal inside it can short out. Then off course check all the switches and crap to be sure it's all off.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts