Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So today is the first time the cougar has been driven on the road for any purpose other than around the block. A few issues popped up. The right front brake would stick at the stop light and it ran hot, probably low on fluid. My question is why would the brake stick?

·
Premium Member
4,106 Posts
Disc brakes? I had a problem meny years back with the calipers sticking. The car had not been driven in 6 or 7 years and rust had built up on hte surface that they slide on. I cleaned that up and had no more problems. But some times the rubber line will get rotted inside and not let the fluid return up line.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Sounds like your balance on brake pressure is outta wack Andy - did you center the proportioning valve per the manual? Is the brake light on?....maybe a good thorough brake proportioning is needed..it's also possible the valve is hung up - rusted/corroded internally - pretty common

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I rebuilt it and installed a centering pin in it this past winter. I left the centering pin in it. Could that be the issue? I figured that it should stay centered so I just left it in.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Centering pin not the problem, pull drum and look for fluid ( grease or brake) on lining, adjustment may be too tight. Good luck.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Too tight may be the culprit. Maybe I will just put new shoes on while im at it. They look ok but it can't hurt. I did replace the wheel cylinders a while back. What's the best way to adjust them? Snug fit when putting on the drums ?

·
Registered
913 Posts
Too tight may be the culprit. Maybe I will just put new shoes on while im at it. They look ok but it can't hurt. I did replace the wheel cylinders a while back. What's the best way to adjust them? Snug fit when putting on the drums ?
The way I do it is, with the drum on, use a brake spoon (or a screwdriver)and tighten till drum is locked up and then loosen untill drum turns freely. You might feel a little drag at some point during rotation by hand but this is normal.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts