Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 70 XR7. When I accelerate fast the wipers will activate. Just for one pass and then stop. I can't figure out how these two things can be related. A short or loose wire? Why only when I accelerate? The wipers work fine other that that. Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks

·
Registered
314 Posts
Maybe your electric choke is shorting out with the wipers? I really have no idea what would cause this problem, just figured that because the choke is sort of hooked to the throttle that could be your problem.

Good luck

·
Registered
13 Posts
maybe, and this is way out there. But maybe your wiper switch is lose or has a short in it and when you punch it and everything in the car is being pushed backwards to the rear of the car that is enough to move something in the switch to set off the wipers? or it could the electric choke too.

Good luck.

·
Registered
429 Posts
question:

Do you have a windshield washer squirters and resevoir?

A previous owner took mine out when he did an engine swap. So when it is misting out, I can use the foot pedal to swipe the windshield once. I'm not sure, but are these pedals vacume operated or are they electric? I'm not even sure the 70s have them because I have a 68. If they are vacume operated, they could be hooked up to the wrong port or something like that. If they are electrical then all the stuff the other guys said applies. Does any of what I said make since to anyone else? It is still early and I'm out of coffee. :(

Austin

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
That's funny. I had a 62 Comet, every time I turned left, the horn would honk. Found out the wiring in the column hit the metal thing inside and turned the horn on. It wouldn't just go honk, it would hoooooooonk until I stopped turning, kinda funny, if anyone cut me off, just turn the wheel,lol.

Rick

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Weird stuff

When I drive at night and step on the gas my interior dash lights get a lot brighter!:D

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Alternator

That makes sense!;)

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
could be the volyage regulator as well. Most garages do a charging system test for free, worth a look, dont want it failing at the wrong time.

Rick

1 - 10 of 10 Posts