Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please forgive me if these questions seem dumb but I am new to the older cougar scene. I recently acquired a 1974 Cougar XR7 hardtop... q1: what kind of gas mileage does this car get?
q2: is this a generally reliable make/model/year car? (I purchased it in all-original, 1 owner condition with a flawless interior for $1500) Thank you for your time.

Eric Jones

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Welcome to the List Eric!!! I am not positive what mileage you will get but mine gets 12 mpg, of course my car has had everything changed. If I were you I would expect it to get 14-18mpg but I have never owned a 74. As far as reliability, you should expect a very reliable car. Sounds like you picked up a nice car, good luck with it.
John
wvcat

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Eric,

Good find. While the "newer" 74 and up Cougars aren't as collectible as the 67-73s, I think they are pretty cool. My dad had a new 74 Grand Torino waaaaaaayy back then, very similar underneath, but the Cougar looked better.

Unfortunately few show up at the Cougar shows, so you'd be a cinch for an award! Are you buying it for transportation? Show? Both? How's the exterior?

They aren't economy cars, and like any older car they need their share of upkeep, but it shouldn't be too expensive to maintain.

Have Fun & Good Luck
Tim B
1969 XR7 428 CJR convertible
http://hometown.aol.com/timbrands/Cougar.html

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for your replies... The exterior is in decent condition with one small dent in the right front fender. The paint is in pretty good condition for the car's age, and there is absolutely No rust (for a Missouri car, this is very rare, I purchased an Oldsmobile a couple of years ago and already it is showing signs of bubbling paint in the usual places...) The cougar was purchased mostly to drive, since I live fairly far from any shows.

Eric Jones

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
LOL. The odometer reads 87,010, and is functional. I am inclined to believe this is correct based on the excellent interior and decent engine... the car has been sitting in a garage for the last 20 years without being run, so it was rather interesting trying to start, but after that...

Eric Jones

·
Registered
127 Posts
20 years?? Sheesh....my '69 sat for about 12 I believe...the dealer that had it after the first owner did some work to bring it back, and now that I have it, it drives great. :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts