Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK,

I got the blue cats A/C charged yesterday and it works great! Except that it only comes out of the floor! I don't hear any leaks . does anyone have a drawing or insight how it hooks up to the control?? Compressor comes on just does not shift to the A/C vents or the defroster vents.

Factory Air BTW...

Don

·
Registered
207 Posts
I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM IN MY 70 XR7. I LOCATED THE BLUE VACUUM SWITCH THAT ACTIVATES THE DOORS TO CLOSE AND OPEN TO THE PROPER DUCTS. THE SWITCH IS ABOUT THE SIZE OF A LIME, IS BLUE AND LOCATED ON THE RIGHT SIDE BEHIND THE RADIO. I WAS ABLE TO REACH THRU THE GLOVE COMPARTMENT BARELY AND MANUALLY ACTIVATE IT AND IT REROUTED THE AIR THRU CENTER DUCTS. THE SWITCH HAS A 2-3 INCH ROD/LINKAGE ON TOP THAT YOU CAN PUSH DOWN WITH YOUR FINGERS AND AND ACTIVATE THE AC DOORS. YOU CAN THEN USE A VACUUM PUMP TO TEST THE SWITCH ONCE YOU FIND IT. TOMORROW I AM GOING TO PULL THE RADIO OUT AND TO GET MORE ROOM TO WORK AND REPLACE THE SWITCH AND TRACE IT BACK TO AC CONTROLS IF THATS THE PROBLEM.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I WENT TO WORK ON MY AC TODAY, AND FIXED MY PROBLEM BY TAKING OUT THE RADIO AND PULLING OUT THE AC/HEATER CONTROL UNIT FAR ENOUGH TO REACH BEHIND THE UNIT AND RESEAT THE VACUUM LINES AND NOW THE AIR BLOWS THRU ALL THE CORRECT VENTS. THE VACUUM LINES ALL PLUG INTO A PLASTIC PLUG ABOUT 2 INCHES WIDE AND THIS PLUG THEN ATTACHES TO THE BACK OF THE CONTROL UNIT. IT HAD COME PARTIALLY LOOSE OR SOMETHING AND WAS LEAKING VACUUM.

WHILE YOU ARE AT THIS POINT GO AHEAD AND TEST ALL YOUR VACUUM SWITCHES YOU CAN GET TO AND MAKE SURE THEY ALL OPERATE. I USED A $25 VACUUM PUMP, VERY GOOD INVESTMENT.

YOU WILL HAVE TO UNHOOK THE TEMP BLEND CONTROL CABLE LOCATED BEHIND THE GLOVE COMPARTMENT DOOR.JUST UNHOOK IT AND YOU CAN PULL THE CONTROL UNIT OUT ENOUGH TO WORK ON IT. YOU MAY HAVE TO PUSH THE CONTROL CABLE DOWN AND TO THE BACK OF THE FLOOR TO ALLOW THE CONTROL UNIT TO COME OUT. GOOD LUCK!

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I dinked around with it on friday and found a cracked v-line at the canister in the wheelwell.... repaired that. Now A/C selection will route air thr the correct vents in the dash..... however when I select defrost it goes to the floor. checked the selector out, it seems OK... I didn't want to tear it all apart just yet. Car show this weekend on the 12th. I was just happy to get the A/C vents working

Don

1 - 4 of 4 Posts