Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this can sits in the front right fender well. it takes vacuum from the vacuum manifold and sends it back to the a/c heater control unit to open/close the proper doors to distribute air as desired - defrost, floor, hi/lo, etc.

i suspect it is leaking. with the heater control in OFF, vacuum goes in but none is going out. all the distribution does work correctly when selecting hi/lo, floor, defog, etc. but the car idles better when the vacuum is pulled off the reservoir and plugged. but then of course most of the heater controls will not work as advertised. (a/c is disconnected and not an issue).

if anyone is familiar with this reservoir and how it is supposed to behave, as well as if it can be fixed/replaced, let me know.

billy
858-243-5614

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
We have new and used units and yes, small holes can be epoxy repaired. It serves the same function as your tilt and headlight vacuum reservoir. As your car changes elevation, accelerates, decelerates you create a vacuum source that fluctuates greatly. The reservoir (when the check valve is working properly) gives you a reliable reserve of vacuum at anytime including when the engine is off.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We have new and used units and yes, small holes can be epoxy repaired. It serves the same function as your tilt and headlight vacuum reservoir. As your car changes elevation, accelerates, decelerates you create a vacuum source that fluctuates greatly. The reservoir (when the check valve is working properly) gives you a reliable reserve of vacuum at anytime including when the engine is off.

thanks Don. so there should always be suction from the skinny nipple when the car is running, regardless of a/c heater control switch position? and the check valve just prevents the stored vacuum from both leaving when the car is off, as well as maintaining a reliable reserve of vacuum at ALL times? why do i need a reliable reserve of vacuum for the heater control when the car is off?

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
There are times during the normal cycles of diving, (brief as they may be) when you have little to no vacuum being produced.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Don as nice as those look I may just go with a new one verses my original! I should by stock in your place!

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
Actually, since I can not do 1/10th of the reproductions I want to, I do want to have some buy in opportunities available for small time investors, kind of like an annuity! Want to buy 500 69-70 quarter script emblems and double your money over 4 years?

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Not sure about 69 or 70 emblems but bet a real good dash for a 67/68 would sell. Actually I might think about the later year stuff too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts