Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
O.K. in an effort to try to get to the A/C part of the project done before my back starts sticking to the seat I have become extremely confused. If I hit the switch I have 12.7 volts at the connector (Green wire) in the engine compartment where the compressor wire (Black) hooks up. Now when I unplug the pigtail that goes to the compressor and jump it to the battery the compressor kicks on. And if I test the pigtail that goes to the switch I have 12.7 volts (Like I said above). Now when I plug them together I have nothing!. the voltage goes to zero (Tested at both sides of the plug) what the heck is the deal?. I have tested all the wires every way I know and get nothing but more confused.

Any Ideas?.

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Sorry, I wouldn't know about that. I deleted the A/C on both my '73s. I don't relish that 60+ lbs of dead weight sitting on the front of my engine (since the a/c didn't work anyway) and at least now I can see the engine.

No, I didn't just unhook the evap, compressor, and lines, I did a full delete. I replaced the heater box with a non-a/c heater box, put a metal patch over the a/c hose area and re-drilled the holes in the proper location for a non-a/c heater core. Also, the heater control switches, vents and associated non a/c parts were installed. Yes, it was a lot of work, but now there is no way to tell visibly that my cars ever had air.

I figured that I drive my Cougars so rarely (well, honestly neither has seen the street in over 13 years) I really didn't think that a working a/c system was a priority.

Besides, I'd rather listen to my Cat's growl with its very healthy 351CJ anyhow! :D

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
I dont know but maybe there is a relay from the switch that is breaking down under a load??? Just a thought.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Have you checked the High and Low pressure cut off switches?
It's been a while since I messed with an A/C system, but I do remember that that was a common fault on A/C systems that would not kick in.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Hi KK,
I haven't seen a pressure switch on my cat so its probably mounted on back of the compressor. If you bypass it you should be able to test the operation of the compressor but you should have it checked for freon if it runs when you bypass it, because this is the most likely problem. If it is an electrical problem, it could be the clutch. The clutch creates a magnetic field when power is applied to hold it and it could have went bad just like a starter or alternator and thats a reason why you don't see voltage. The short could cause you not to see it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the replies. I have narrowed the problem down to the wiring from the firewall to the A/C compressor. Just a matter of time before I'm bathed in the cool breezes of..... chilled dust!.

·
Banned
4,754 Posts
Ozone Warning

Catz I know you all want to be cool but I thought I'd drop this word of warning were AC is concerned.The old freon systems that used R12 may be responsible for the current ozone depletion.The ratio of freon (cfc) to ozone depletion is 1/37.000 yes 1/37,000.What that means is when one pound of freon is dispersed into our atmosphere 37,000 pounds of the ozone layer disappear.The freon has a life expectancy of about 350 years.All the cfc's dispersed in the 20th century haven't even begun to do their damage.I strongly recommend that any cfc's left in old AC systems be contained properly by a trained technician.We now have R20 and some others that we hope are not damaging our planet like freon or/and cfc's are.Please do your bit to help.Thanks:cool:

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
A/C

Hey Ray,
I just hung all the a/c back on wvcat and I was getting ready to charge it with R134a but I saw your post and you mention R20. Is R20 a better product than R134a or are they comparable in cooling effeciency? Just wondering which I should use. Oh yeah, I am certified but I don't work on other peolpes cars anymore.
Thanks

·
Banned
4,754 Posts
wvcat you are doing the right thing.I can't tell you which is better but I am aware of the problems associated with the R12.We don't have AC here as its never that hot or should I say we have free AC here all we do is open the window .I appreciate that the southern and eastern regions need AC cause rollin down a window there won't help.Thanks for the consideration.I forgot to mention that each AC system uses about 2 pounds of refrigerant.Its all some pretty scarry math.Thanks again,Catz ya;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts