Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I figure A/C is A/C and someone here can help me out.
The system on the Subie (02' 2.5) leaked down and a mechanic put some 134 in it. Now it's making a kind of squonking sound when it's on.
I thought it was a belt. Not a belt.
Apparently it's something in the system.

I know nothing about A/C aside from basic theory and components, so I'm hoping you can help me out with this. :bloated:

·
Registered
156 Posts
It could be overcharged. Did your mechanic have gauges on it when the R134 was installed? The high pressure will ruin your compressor. Have the high and low side checked.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Isnt the system supposed to have oil in it too? Maybe it leaked out with the refrigerant.

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
Suburban? Subaru? Mitsubishi?

·
Registered
798 Posts
Andy,
There is too much pressure on the High-Side (Overcharge). The Honk is caused by the Expansion valve bouncing on it's seat. On a Dual Gauge, The low side should be @ 45 Psi, and the high-side @ 220-270 Psi. When it starts to "Honk", the High-side gauge will fluctuate rapidly.

Solution: replace the Expansion Valve, Evacuate, add Tracer Dye to find the leak, & recharge the system.

Hope this helps.

Pete

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Awesome!

Yeah, it's an Outback.

I think the guy just dumped 134 in it til he thought it had enough.
More examination showed me a leak at the junction where a hose meets the compressor. So, I guess I'll get some parts and have at it.
I'm on the right track now. Thanks again!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts