Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
got the heater assembly out of the car to replace the heater core. all engine side a/c parts have been removed over the years. is there any reason to keep the a/c evaporator in the heater housing? will taking it out affect any of the heater functions? thanks-

billy

·
Premium Member
2,471 Posts
You can remove it with no ill effects. The downside for you or the subsequent owner will be having to drop the whole box when you decide you want to add the A/C back to the car. Surprising that you wouldn't want the A/C given where you live.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You can remove it with no ill effects. The downside for you or the subsequent owner will be having to drop the whole box when you decide you want to add the A/C back to the car. Surprising that you wouldn't want the A/C given where you live.
San Diego is actually pretty temperate. there are some hot days, but i spent a lot of dough trying to get the a/c to work properly and it never really did. and it seemed to put such a strain on the engine. when it was hot and i needed it and i got stuck in traffic on the 5 or the 405, it would always overheat. so most of the memories are of it being a pain in my ass. 'sides, the Cougar is not really built for comfort. just a fun, old muscle car from the 70's with a big V8 that burns rubber and sounds bad-ass.

i get what you are saying though. now that i've had it apart, it won't be so bad if i have to do it again.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Personally, I would leave the core in if it is good. It's worth more in than out in my book unless the idea of the two tubes sticking out but not being used bothers you (which it probably does!).

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Personally, I would leave the core in if it is good. It's worth more in than out in my book unless the idea of the two tubes sticking out but not being used bothers you (which it probably does!).
yeah, unfortunately it does bug me to see those refrigerant tubes sticking out in to space. i don't like "extra" stuff hanging out that serves no function. but that's just me...........

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
because of the pia to remove the heater box , i'd get the a/c core pres checked and reinstall---one day you have a favorite person that complains about the heat and you'll be 3/4 done

·
Registered
396 Posts
I just replaced all the under the hood components from Vintage Air. Cost was about $900 and and a weekend to install, and I am no serious mechanic. I would leave it, blow it out and clean it and then plug holes to keep stuff from getting in there. Will make life much simpler and cheaper for you or the next guy that wants the air back. Just my 2 cents worth.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts