Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This has probably been asked and answered a bunch of times, But here goes: I just got the A/C working again in my 69 XR 7. I replaced all the belts and made sure the A/C belt was nice and tight. The problem is that the belt squeals when you first start up the car, even when the A/C is off. The squeal goes away once the car runs for a bit. When I turn the A/C on the belt does not squeal while driving at speed, But when you are stopped or the engine is running less than 1K RPM it starts to chatter like a chipmunk in heat.
It is really annoying and I want it to go away. I tried scuffing up the A/C pulley and made sure I had the correct belt on there, but it still persists. What is my next move?
Thanks,
Ned Beatty

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Have you tried belt dressing? In a pinch I have used carb cleaner for this purpose as well.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Other than making it tighter and putting more tension on it - dressing is not the worst thing. Some belts are more prone to squealing than others just because the materials are harder than they used to be....they last longer but don't perform as well.

·
Registered
64 Posts
The a/c belt has no drag on it when a/c is OFF , unless you have a bad idler pully or a/c clutch bearing . Take belt off to see if it still dose it. if it happens when you frist start it I would look at the alternator belt or power steering belt , if still dose it after you take a/c belt.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I sprayed a little WD40 on each belt and found out that it was actually the alternator belt that was making the noise. Apparently when I changed over to a Powermaster One wire alternator it has a slightly smaller pulley than my original alt. So I got another alt belt that was an inch shorter and installed it. Voila! no more noise.
Thanks for everyone's input.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts