Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought back my first car. My father was the original owner of this Cat. Long story short, it traded hands several times. Went from my dad, to my aunt, to my cousin (who trashed it), then back to my dad circa 1984, who had an amateurish resto done with plenty o' bondo. But back then, it looked fine. My brother drove it in high school, then it went to me, and I did the same. I decided to sell it around 2001. Saw it for sale in my town (by somebody different than I had sold it to) in 2007. Didn't do my homework. Sat for a few years in my Mom's driveway. Look at the pics below to see what I found when I finally got around to giving her the time she deserved. Want the icing on the cake? To cover up the huge hole in the passenger side floor pan (which I obviously missed), two old NJ license plates were stuck in place and then sprayed with undercoating to hide their appearance.

I am in New York. Does anyone have any guess as to what new floor pans (both sides, the driver's side isn't much better) will cost? Oh yeah, and a new vinyl top as well. She's bubbling pretty good. Seriously, I would like some feedback... please let me know your thoughts... wondering if I should just part her out or sell to the highest bidder at this point? Runs pretty well, by the way... it originally was a 67 Standard with a 289 2 bbl, C4 auto trans, inverness green with black interior and A/C. Slapped an Edelbrock manifold, 500 cfm carb, and Accel electronic distributor on it... works pretty good...

Would love some feedback.

Thanks,

Brian

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,303 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
So I bought back my first car. My father was the original owner of this Cat. Long story short, it traded hands several times. Went from my dad, to my aunt, to my cousin (who trashed it), then back to my dad circa 1984, who had an amateurish resto done with plenty o' bondo. But back then, it looked fine. My brother drove it in high school, then it went to me, and I did the same. I decided to sell it around 2001. Saw it for sale in my town (by somebody different than I had sold it to) in 2007. Didn't do my homework. Sat for a few years in my Mom's driveway. Look at the pics below to see what I found when I finally got around to giving her the time she deserved. Want the icing on the cake? To cover up the huge hole in the passenger side floor pan (which I obviously missed), two old NJ license plates were stuck in place and then sprayed with undercoating to hide their appearance.

I am in New York. Does anyone have any guess as to what new floor pans (both sides, the driver's side isn't much better) will cost? Oh yeah, and a new vinyl top as well. She's bubbling pretty good. Seriously, I would like some feedback... please let me know your thoughts... wondering if I should just part her out or sell to the highest bidder at this point? Runs pretty well, by the way... it originally was a 67 Standard with a 289 2 bbl, C4 auto trans, inverness green with black interior and A/C. Slapped an Edelbrock manifold, 500 cfm carb, and Accel electronic distributor on it... works pretty good...

Would love some feedback.

Thanks,

Brian
Not to dissuade you but rust that bad in the front pan (are both sides like that?) says to me you have a rotted out cowl which is allowing rain to soak the carpet and is in turn rusting the pan(s).

Also, when the vinyl top is "bubbling pretty good" there is rust under there too. You have to take the top off, at least there to see how bad it is.

Are you asking what the replacement sheet metal costs or having the whole job done for you?

How is the body otherwise? Hard call to make regarding parting out or selling or keeping and doing the work.

Regards,

Bob

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
From the pictures you provided and your description it sounds like you have a nightmare on your hands. Especially if Bob's suspicions are correct about the cowl. If you do decide to take that on and you are doing the work yourself, you will be officially crowned an ECI. :smoke:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the feedback guys. As far as the cowl is concerned, I have never found any wet spots on the carpet, so I think it is okay. My theory is the holes in the floor pan allowed moisture to get in from underneath which was in turn absorbed by the sound deadening material, which over time turned a relatively small rust issue into a very big one. As far as the driver's side goes, I am going to check it out today and see what I find. I don't think it's as bad as the passenger side, but I know the torque box is shot, and there is at least one spot where you can poke your finger through the underside and feel carpeting. I'll snap some pics and post them later on today.

Brian

·
Premium Member
2,364 Posts
Before you invest any more time or effort, pour a 2-liter bottle of water into the cowl on both sides and see what happens. If it comes through on the floor, you have a rusted out cowl. If it doesn't come out at all, you have a blocked cowl that will eventually rust out. I just had a rusted cowl repaired on my '67 and it cost $3500 to have someone else do it. Fortunately, I knew about the cowl ahead of time and knew how much to have the seller knock off the price of the car. I'd be surprised to see moisture absorbed from the bottom produce that much rot all by itself, but I suppose it could. It's still worth it to test, and possibly rule out, the cowl as a source of trouble.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the suggestion Bill, I'll give that a shot. Stupid question for ya though. If the cowl isn't blocked, where would I be looking for the water to come out?

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Rotted cowl's are the most common trouble spots for Mustangs/Cougars of this era......partly because they were not painted very well, and then leaves, twigs, junk get caught in there and hold moisture as well. It's a very major undertaking to repair it. I'd go over the whole thing front to back and acertain whether you really want to commint the time/money for the repairs, or look for something that is in better condition to start with. 9 out of ten times it's cheaper to go that route if you don't have the ability to do the majority of the work yourself......good luck. If you want to put on the ECI cap and get to work - theres plenty of help advice and great threads on here.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts