Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, what I had been dreading for some time (probablly because I have never done it before) was the power steering control valve reabuild...not knowing where to turn (get it...turn!) I posted a message yesterday, and within 4 hours I had all the insite I needed...thank you for the help on finding a control valve and for the diagram that was emailed...I took modifiedmarc's advice and drove to Lamont, CA to pick up a rebuilt cylinder at Autozone for 90 bucks (others around town were about 160)...and a total of 4 hours later I now have power steering...man it's nice. Thank you so much everybody...This site ROCKS!
Chris

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Just gotta drive this thing so much more now....power steering makes such a difference.

·
Registered
648 Posts
You'll find that everyone may not agree with the answer to a question, but they are ALWAYS willing to help.

Thanks Logan :)

Ken

·
Registered
885 Posts
neatochris,

Did the power steering cylinder from Autozone come with with a boot kit (boot, washers, bushings)?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It came complete with the ball shaft, but no bushings or anything. If you disconnected the 4 power steering lines, undid the ball shaft, and unscrewed the valve off the center thing (pitman arm?), that's what you get for 90 bucks...not bad at all...but bring your core..it's like another 60 bucks if you don't have it.
chris

·
Registered
885 Posts
Yeah, I figured as much. Problem is, Autozone doesn't seem to have a boot kit they sell separately, so I ordered one from Mustangs Plus. About $18 including CA tax and shipping.

Steve C.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The boot kit, that's for the cylinder, isn't it? The cylinders go for about 60-70 (i think) and probablly come with a boot...but I can't verify that.
Chris

·
Registered
885 Posts
Yes. The boot slides over the shaft, and the bushing/washers attach said shaft to a bracket it pushes against.

Steve C.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Chris -

I just had to mention that I like your Domo-Kun avatar WAY too much! (That's the little brown guy in the background)

I've got nothing else to add, other than congrats on your power steering!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You influenced me...I was trying to find a "webster" icon, but made this one instead. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts