Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my wifes 73 cougar will not start. going to check several things suggested by this web-site, but to my suprise, it shifts at the floor shifter, but will not move. Acts like the parking pin is still engaged. Parking brake is never set. Any ideas or suggestions would help.

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
Shift linkage is disconnected or broken.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
You should crawl under and take a look while somebody moves the shifter (safely of course!) to see if the rod is really moving or not. You can move the shift lever by hand on the trans if need be by unbolting the shift rod - you should be able feel if the lever detents at each shif point PRND21...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
this is a automatic transmisson, my problem is it is in a tight garage. when I tried to start the car, I could not get any fuel to the carb. With a couple of suggestions from this web site, I tried to move the car out, to access the fuel filter. That is when it would not shift into neutral. Funny, there was a small cresent shaped piece laying on the floor. Maybe the broken part on the linkage as suggested(over by the passanger floor board). I love multiple problems! Once I get this cougar going, what is everybody doing for fuel? This new fuel is just bad news. Aircraft fuel, gas treatments or a mix of moonshine?

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
change the fuel line to injection rated stuff and use pump gas is my solution.
rejet the carb when needed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts