Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found another in Scottsdale, and if the owner and I can come to an agreement on price, I may be asking one of y'all to look at it. It certainly *sounds* promising to me!

Here's the (alleged) facts:

1967 Cougar A-coder, AT (C4), AC, PS, PB (disc), bench seat. 105K miles, originally in LA, now in AZ, always garaged, not driven in the rain for at least 10 years.

New paint ("at a place that only does 4 cars per year"), floorpans replaced at that time (AC condensation). Cougar steel wheels, has the original hubcaps.

New interior (headliner, carpet, dashpad, seat vinyl). Aftermarket steering wheel ("old one was too cracked to keep"). Aftermarket Am/Fm/cassette, dash NOT hacked, has original Philco but doesn't know if it works.

A little rust under the battery tray ("but not compromising"), otherwise none.

Engine has a Carter carb and electronic ignition. Drinks about 1 qt / 3000 miles. ("My mechanic says that the engine is running too well to make it worthwhile to rebuild")

Headlight doors work fine, only one of the taillights works sequentially. I'm guessing it's a blinker cam issue since he says the handle only "clicks" in one direction.

Heater plenum is toast and needs replacement. Hasn't tested AC in over 5 years because of the plenum. I'm assuming for the purposes of negotiation that it does not work.

Most weatherstripping was replaced at the repaint, window weatherstripping needs replacement (but not at the roofrail.

It looks like a nice car needing about $500 worth of work to be a really good driver, and most of that money in tires. What do y'all think?

·
Registered
866 Posts
My Cougar is a Cali car, no rust, floorpans are original and look brand new, and it too has rust under the battery... not a big deal with that.

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
worth taking a look at but not being in the rain the last ten means the first twenty it was in the land of swamps. underside could be toast. Anyplace that only does 4 paint jobs a year is not a profesional place it may be a good ameture or profesional doing it out of his home but red flag on that one. i am just a little suspicous on that. Plenum is bad but why didnt he fix it in the last five years? cheap to do and AZ without air is like boiling especially scottsdale i used to live there you dont drive very long or far without a/c. most weather stripping replaced at paint but not roof rail? why not? that would be my question. signals may just need the cam clean or it could be the switch in the colum as well more than likely the colum switch is messed up. Course for the right price many worrys disapear. Not trying to be negative just these were thoughts that came to my mind right away. that and the statement my mechanic says it is running to good for a rebuild yet your burning a quart every 3000, seams to be a contradicting statement to me. if your burning a quart everry 3000 there is something internally worn, not saying it isnt running good but something aint right nonetheless. course if your palnning on putting a new engine it is a mute point.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The comment on not being in the rain for 10 years is because it was granny's car. Garaged, but probably driven in the rain. In LA.

Re: Plenum, he says that he looked in salvage yards and was never able to find one. The only repops I've seen have been for non-AC cars.

A little more info on that: the heater core is in a box since the plenum was toast. No AC or heat, then, although the heating systems in these cars aren't terribly complex.

Weatherstripping comment was likely my bad typing... roofrail stripping WAS replaced. Weatherstripping BETWEEN the windows was not.

No, I'm not planning a new engine at this time.

So no one has answered the question, what is this worth, ballpark?

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
MERCURY

COUGAR
Model: 2 DOOR HARDTOP
Weight: 3,005
Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price: $2,851
Low Retail: $3,925
Average Retail: $6,100
High Retail: $9,100

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Optional Equipment
Add-289 V8 Engine: 15 %
Add-Air Conditioning: 10 %

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Totals
Total Low Retail: $4,906
Total Average Retail: $7,625
Total High Retail: $11,375

straight from nada guide. course take off 20 percent for no ac no heat. then i would also take an aditional 30 percent off the total 7625.00 that way i can come up.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So, is your suggestion to start at 50% off average retail ($3812.50) with an idea that it's worth up to 20% off ($6100)?

(Discounting the $500 or so worth of tires and immediate work I need, which I would skim off the top?)

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts