Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i posted in parts wanted but i'm trying to make sure everyone see this cause my 8inch is broke i need a 9inch that fits under a 67 thanks for your help jim

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
I know of a guy about 30 minutes from Valporaiso that has a very large collection of mustang parts cars. He may have a 9" housing. Let me know if you dont find one I can get the guys # for you from my brother.mm

·
Registered
34 Posts
9" rear

I don't know of a 9" that's for sale, but I can offer some advice once you find one. Sorry to ant on here. I got mine from a guy that was parting out multiple cougars in the Iowa area where I'm from. I also think the same rear out of a Torino, Galexy, and Comet will work too from that era up to 1969, after that I beleive they became larger to accomodate the larger wheel base of cars from 1969 thu the 70's. If you can get a 9" straight out of a Cougar that would be your best bet, but I think those other cars will work too, but not 100% sure. Also, you can use the same splines out of you 8" for the 9". When I got mine, I basically wanted the 9" housing and the center section, I gutted the rest. I used the axles from my 8" and baught a Auburn Gear Pro differential and put in Richmond 3.89's. It's quiet and really burns them off too. Depending on what set-up you desire and what condition the rear is in when you find one, depends on how far you need to go. I'll probably be replacing the 3.89's with 4.11's or 4.33's one I get my 351W. I heard some differentials can be noisey, like the real Detroit Lockers and some other's like Power-Trax's when you turn corners, but I beleive Logan suggested the Auburn gear tom me and it was great advice. Maybe you can find some of this helpful once you find one.
-Nathan

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Called my brothers, he's out of town till sunday. I will try to e-mail the # first of next week. mm

·
Registered
19 Posts
9 inch info

2fast,

I think your best bet for a nine inch will be out of any mustang thru 70, and torino's and montego's/cyclone's thru 69. From 70 on they may be too wide causing tire clearance probs. On the 60's galaxies, they probabally will be too wide, and you would have to cut the coil spring mounts off, and weld on leaf spring mounts which in my mind isn't worth the trouble. If you measure your axle tubes from end to end, let me know and I'll measure some of mine. If I have one, you can have it cheap (fellow cougar owner!).

Zane Hagerott

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
2fast4u Check your e-mail, you will find the #.

Zaneh, going from my quickly fading memory, 69 and 70 mustangs have a 60" track the same as 69 and 70 Cougars. 67 and 68 mustangs are the same as 67 and 68 Cougars. About a 58" track if I remember right. I think up to 67 Fairlane maybe the same but Im sure 68 and 69 Torino and Fairlane are wider, about 61", the same as 71-73 Mustangs. mm

·
Registered
19 Posts
2fast

I think mm is right on the 67-8's being narrower than the later cougs. On the rest, I don't remember ever measuring one. If that's the case, all I would have would be in an 8 inch 58" track.

Zane

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks for all your help guys i'm going to measure
it tonite and give him a call out tomorrow
if they made 31 spline stuff for the 8 inch i would stay with it the only thing i ever broke was axles but o well thanks again for all your help

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i live southwest of chicago by joliet in a town called romeoville but if i say romeoville people really don't know were that is so i go with chicago i'm about 30 mins from downtown

1 - 15 of 15 Posts