Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone bought one of these yet? I just bought a couple, curiosity got the best of me. Don't think I will be wearing a .99c anytime soon but something fun to put in the display case at work. I noticed they are not licensed by Ford (what a surprise!).

<center>
</center>

·
Registered
913 Posts
Don,
How much was the shipping?

·
Registered
735 Posts
Hey Don - I saw those too and was wondering. Is one in your possession yet? Just curious, as those pictures look like the emblems were Photoshopped in. Was wondering if they look that good in person.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
You might be able to remove the dial, and make a pin/cuff links out of such. If anyone wears cuff links anymore.

The GT-E emblem does look good in the photo, but in real LIFE????

Dale in Indy

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Hey Don - I saw those too and was wondering. Is one in your possession yet? Just curious, as those pictures look like the emblems were Photoshopped in. Was wondering if they look that good in person.
I was about to say that if they could make a 99 cent watch look that good, then they should make repo parts for 67-73 cars. How about a $4.99 set of GTE fender badges? Maybe 1970 roof pillar ornaments for $4.99 etc., etc.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
It's a watch for $14.49 delivered from and made in China. What exactly do you think it going to look like? :klo:

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Well, I am for the USA stuff, but must admit, lots of China stuff is not all that bad. I have purchased some USA stuff over the years that wasn't that good too. NOT OFTEN, BUT HAS HAPPENED.

I purchased a pedal car, a 32 Ford from China, and quality is EXCELLENT.

Dale in Indy

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I must admit, some of the parts we have done in China we had to do there not because of price, but quality. Remember the old (now discontinued) repro Mercury script emblems that were made in the USA? They were as soft as lead, the edges were rounded and the plating only lasted a few years. For the same price, (almost to the penny) we had them done in China and the quality is substantially better than any NOS emblem I have ever seen. Sad but true. Anyone read the article last week in TIME magazine about America in decline?

·
Registered
301 Posts
OK, I'm going to give it a shot too. I just bid on the "G" watch that ends in 10 hours....if nothing else, it can go in the display case....

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
They cannot be any worse than the quality of average promo item from Ford back in the day... Talk about junk!

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Another statement on QUALITY. Often quality is determined by the INSPECTOR, Yes, if the inspector PASSES poor quality, then before you know it, such is norm.

When Honda opened in the USA, and at the ground breaking, a question was asked. DO YOU THINK AMERICAN WORKERS CAN PRODUCE THE QUALITY THE BLUE COLLAR WORKERS IN JAPAN PRODUCE? He said, "INSPECTORS DETERMINE QUALITY".

I believe you will find a lot of products coming out of China by China people at a very low cost hourly rate, but the company, tooling, specs. all are American. Cheap labor then produces the product at a lower price. Not all items, but lots and lots. IMO

Dale in Indy

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Another statement on QUALITY. Often quality is determined by the INSPECTOR, Yes, if the inspector PASSES poor quality, then before you know it, such is norm.

When Honda opened in the USA, and at the ground breaking, a question was asked. DO YOU THINK AMERICAN WORKERS CAN PRODUCE THE QUALITY THE BLUE COLLAR WORKERS IN JAPAN PRODUCE? He said, "INSPECTORS DETERMINE QUALITY".

I believe you will find a lot of products coming out of China by China people at a very low cost hourly rate, but the company, tooling, specs. all are American. Cheap labor then produces the product at a lower price. Not all items, but lots and lots. IMO

Dale in Indy
You have got something there... When it comes to parts we make, I am the end of the line inspector. This is why items like this turn out taking 3 years instead of the 120 days we sometimes predict predict. Some items take a truck-load of samples until they come back "spot on".

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
I have switched to using Chineese tires on my motorhome, my cougar and my Impala. The Goodyear tires for my Moho were about $800 more for the set and the chineese tires have been perfect so far. I have to say that if you do your homework, you'll find some very good quality stuff coming out of China. My IROC copy rims for my SS are chineese and are excellent. I will buy american if quality and price are good, but if I'm going to be reamed for an American product, I will go with what helps my family finances the most.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
You all DON'T miss me too much. hehehe.

I just finished an arty project, made two solid walnut Pulpits for my sister's church in Dallas, and our church in Indy.

300 plus hours, my design, and FREE to the churches.

I had sent a note in late November to our church, and said I would like to make and donate something, they came right back and said we need a arty Pulpit. Believe it or not, a week later, and before I had started on the project, my sister asked if I would make a Pulpit for her church. She had no idea of our church requesting same. Talk about the good Lord speaking.

So bride of 50 plus years and I off tomorrow morning at 4 am, straight thru drive, about 14-15 hours. Be back on line in 7-8 days. No portable system, cheap guy.

So off my system, but will be thinking of you all, MAYBE...................

Dale in Indy

P.S. Our minister here in Indy DOESN'T KNOW ABOUT THE SURPRISE, just the asst. minister. Party planned for morning of April 11th.

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
You have got something there... When it comes to parts we make, I am the end of the line inspector. This is why items like this turn out taking 3 years instead of the 120 days we sometimes predict predict. Some items take a truck-load of samples until they come back "spot on".
All part of why we call China our "trade partners". It's a pretty complex system, this Import/Export thing..Suppliers based in the US are very commonly relying on cheaper labor, raw materials, looser environmental regulations and tax-loads on factories in China. Now, though, there is demand for a lot of products made in China to be used/consumed in China. It's not 1995 any more..

Classic Muscle cars are going to China and it will grow. Book it. I know for a fact that many Model A Fords are going there and are being DRIVEN, not just collected. It's a status symbol and fairly affordable too. If just one out of every Million Chinese is interested in a classic/collectible car-that's a lot of collectibles off the market in the US. What if they get the "bug" like many of us, and collect 2-4 cars? What if that grows to one out of every 100,000 Chinese in the next 5 years?

It's not 1995 any more in China. Their economy will drive inflation here too. It's not all bad, though. Many of us could stand for the values of "things" to go higher. Our homes included. The scary thing is just WHEN inflation will show in the Money market. Thus far it is stagnent..but watch out. In the meantime, Cash is KING

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
69eliminator, nice story, for sure.

I sold my 68 GT-E in 1970, and it hasn't been found since, at least this site hasn't record of such.

I wish you well.

Dale in Indy

·
Registered
816 Posts
I ordered the Eliminator version a couple of weeks ago for giggles. I would expect it within a week. I'll give you my feedback when it arrives.

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I could not find the ELIMINATOR one in the completed auctions but I saw this one. I emailed them to inquire about dealer / case pricing and they said they would rather I see the quality before they quote...

1 - 20 of 32 Posts