Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys!

I got a 99 Mercury Cougar. The power window on my driver side has stopped working. Two questions:

1) The dealer says i need a new motor. Do you know where i can get one cheap?

2) The window is stuck half way down. Is there a WAY to someone spruce it back up? I tried to take the doro panel apart, but after a few screws, i couldn't figure out how to take it off. There were various things connected that i didn't want to risk breaking to remove.

thanks!!!!!

-= nav =-

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
The motors are the problem 99% of the time for the doors. The door panels are usually very cleverly attached. The best suggestion I have is to pickup a Haynes or Chilton's manual at your local autoparts store which would walk you through the disassembly of your door and the replacement of the motor.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
im not too sure of the Cougar, but its usually not that hard to take a panel off. look around the door for screws and such. then GENTLY pry a panel up, such as the power window switch bezel. that sometimes will pop up and expose some screws. after that you can try to pull outwards and up on the panel. i know Mustangs have panels that work like that, but once again... the Cougar might be different... but hell, Ford may not have much variation in something like door panel attachment.

·
Registered
794 Posts
welcome to the board. If you want to know how to remove the door panel, just stop by the nearest car audio install place (Circuit City, local mom & pop shops) and ask the installers how to remove the door panels. I'm sure they can tell you what you need to know.

Check the motor part # at the dealer and find out what other cars use the same motor (contour,mystique,probe?) and call around to some wreaking yards for a used one.

Are you sure its the motor and not a switch contact?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts