Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cougar brakes.
Just wondering if anyone knows or has performed a replacement of a faulty XR7 antilock brake system with the standard brake system found in the LS model. The reason I ask is the Teves antilock system found in the XR7 is very expensive to replace or rebuild.
1991 model year is the one I am working on.

<!--IBF.ATTACHMENT_457887-->
<!-- THE POST -->

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
See if you can somehow cross reference the part numbers from a parts store and see if they match if so theres your answer.

thanks
pat

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
check out sccoa.com, theres a huge write up about this swap as its commonplace on the sc cars

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
I have a 91 XR-7 too. I've had some brake problems. At least twice. I forget exactly what it was. One time was pretty expensive. It didn't involve the anti lock thing in the trunk. It was some pump of some sort near the master cylinder. It had to be replaced around year 2000, but by then, it wasn't available anymore. It was a huge pain to find a replacement.
One thing I dislike about my 91 is that it's not good for backing into small spaces because it's difficult to see the end of the trunk through the back window. You have to estimate where you are rather than see where you are. Possibly this problem is unique to the sunroof cars? Possibly the sunroof (motor,etc) makes the headliner lower reducing the viewing angle maybe 1/2 inch??? I have not been in a non sunroof car to compare.
Does your JBL stereo work OK? Mine's a piece of $hit. Fantastic when new, but didn't last long. Had it repaired (exchanged for rebuilt) three times. Each rebuilt stereo didn't last long either. It's AM/FM/Cassette with the CD player (also a P.O.S) in separate unit. Now as far as I know, no one repairs this stereo anymore, and a few sources in the business agree that it was too troublesome.
I wonder if there's an aftermarket stereo that will plug right in and work well with the stock speakers and that powerbooster thing (in trunk).

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
of the 4 89-97 cougars i had backin up was never a problem , the tbird back glass is to big imo ,i have had 4 of those too at this point why would want a stock stereo period? the tecnology has came so far over the last 5 years i would never go back to a stock

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a 91 XR-7 too. I've had some brake problems. At least twice. I forget exactly what it was. One time was pretty expensive. It didn't involve the anti lock thing in the trunk. It was some pump of some sort near the master cylinder. It had to be replaced around year 2000, but by then, it wasn't available anymore. It was a huge pain to find a replacement.
One thing I dislike about my 91 is that it's not good for backing into small spaces because it's difficult to see the end of the trunk through the back window. You have to estimate where you are rather than see where you are. Possibly this problem is unique to the sunroof cars? Possibly the sunroof (motor,etc) makes the headliner lower reducing the viewing angle maybe 1/2 inch??? I have not been in a non sunroof car to compare.
Does your JBL stereo work OK? Mine's a piece of $hit. Fantastic when new, but didn't last long. Had it repaired (exchanged for rebuilt) three times. Each rebuilt stereo didn't last long either. It's AM/FM/Cassette with the CD player (also a P.O.S) in separate unit. Now as far as I know, no one repairs this stereo anymore, and a few sources in the business agree that it was too troublesome.
I wonder if there's an aftermarket stereo that will plug right in and work well with the stock speakers and that powerbooster thing (in trunk).

My JBL casette/cd stereo died several years before the Antilock system did. Took the damn thing out and down to Ford parts for a repair and they wanted $300. I ended up buying a panasonic or something or other. I bought a cable adapter that let me hook it up to the factory wiring. I have finally removed the antilock system and going to check out the response above about sccoa.com.
I'm still wondering if I wouldn't be better off buying a used 97 and junking my 91. But I know there weren't many white 91 XR7's built and maybe in 20 more years it'll be a classic like the 69's. But that could just be crazy thinking.

Thanks for the ideas all!!

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
a 97 is not the same car, the later ones have a totally different feel to them. i mean i know you can change things, but if the car is in overall good shape, keep it and modify to be able to keep it around afterall you have a 5.0 supercoupe. its the best of the 5.0 cars

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
After reading the following 21 page thread all the way thru I have decided to continue with the swap of my Teves antilock system and keep the 91.
The thread is one of the best I have come across. I wonder how many cougars and thunderbirds were junked because of the ridiculous expense in repairing the abs.

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59901&highlight=abs+swap

thank you j69cat.
My 91 looks pretty sick after sitting in the driveway for 8 years but she is now on the mend.
Parts are on order. Decided on new and reman instead of junkyard search.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
your welcome

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
My JBL casette/cd stereo died several years before the Antilock system did. Took the damn thing out and down to Ford parts for a repair and they wanted $300. I ended up buying a panasonic or something or other. I bought a cable adapter that let me hook it up to the factory wiring.
Hey 91, where can I get one of those adaptors with a useable stereo? Could I just go to almost any car stereo place and have a choice of a few different stereos that would work with an adaptor that they sell separately?
I talked to a guy at Circuit City's car stereo dept a few years ago asking about this and he told me there is no such thing as a stereo that would plug into my factory wires (he didn't mention adaptors) and that if there was, it would not work with the rest of my stuff. My speakers and that power booster thing (whatever it is) in the trunk. I'd need to buy everything. I didn't really believe him. For some reasonS (good reasons) I don't trust most pro mechanics or stereo salespersons.
Did your replacement stereo fit nicely? Did you get a CD player in the same unit or is it still a separate piece?
I don't need cassette anymore. I guess it wouldn't be available. Right now, all that works is AM. No cassette, no CD, no FM. Just AM that works about 1/2 of the time. It would be nice to have AM/FM/CD again or maybe one that takes one of those thingies that IPOD's use. (I've never used an IPOD)
Thanks, Larry

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
theres 2 kits , one that hass 3 harnesses, 2 for the head, onethat bypasses the amp , i sugges this one. 2 , has 2 for the head and you can still utilize the fact amp.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
a 97 is not the same car, the later ones have a totally different feel to them. i mean i know you can change things, but if the car is in overall good shape, keep it and modify to be able to keep it around afterall you have a 5.0 supercoupe. its the best of the 5.0 cars

Are you sure 91 XR-7's are Supercoupes? What exactly is a "supercoupe". I thought it was a Thunderbird thing only. Supercharged or something different in an important way from the engine in the 91 XR-7. As far as I know, the 91 XR-7 had a 5.0 engine standard and there was not a different/better 5.0 to choose from. That engine was optional on non XR-7's and it had about 25 less horse power than the Mustang 5.0. I read somewhere that the Mustang's extra HP came from a different intake that fit under it's taller hood.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Are you sure 91 XR-7's are Supercoupes? What exactly is a "supercoupe". I thought it was a Thunderbird thing only. Supercharged or something different in an important way from the engine in the 91 XR-7. As far as I know, the 91 XR-7 had a 5.0 engine standard and there was not a different/better 5.0 to choose from. That engine was optional on non XR-7's and it had about 25 less horse power than the Mustang 5.0. I read somewhere that the Mustang's extra HP came from a different intake that fit under it's taller hood.

Larry, the adapter I bought allowed the new panasonic am/fm/cd I bought to plug into the factory wiring harness. It was probably 12 years ago and I don't remember the exact name for it or where I bought it. I believe it was a car stereo store. It didn't make the factory cd player work, however (the one at the bottom by the ash tray).

Also, the supercharged V6 was dropped for 91 and replaced with the 5.0 HO V8 from the mustang. I had a 1988 before this one and it had a non-HO 5.0 with about 35 less horses. You are correct about the taller hood on the mustang. They had to do a lot of shoe-horning to get that sucker in the cougar. Great motor, mine still doesn't smoke, has about 136,000 miles on it. I am the original owner :)

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
91 xr7 is the only mn12 that had a v8, the bolstered supercoupe style seats,the arc ride control , and antilock. only 3 years of xr7 were monochromatic like the 91 was too , this other than the 89-90 xr7 which was a 3.8 super charged like the super coupe, 91 was all v8's for the xr7. they didnt drop the 3.8 sc in 91, just from cougar, they continued making supercoupes till 95

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Hey 91cougar, I bought a new stereo for my 91 XR-7 today. I got it at a place that sells only car stereo's. They have in stock, adaptors that fit their stereo's to my factory wires. Just like you did with yours. So I just wanted to thank you for telling me about yours. Like I wrote earlier, an employee at Circut City had told me it wouldn't work that way, (he said I'd have to buy all new speakers) so because of him, I've been without radio for a long time looking for decent original's. It sounds great through all my factory speakers. It has a USB port so I can listen to things that way too. According to the guy I bought it from, it was a little more complicated than just plugging it in. He had to bypass the amp (not just unplug it), so I paid a $65.00 installation fee. It probably wasn't that hard but I'm just very happy to have a good stereo again.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
1991 intermittent wipers

91cougar (or anyone else),
Does your car make an annoying clicking sound in the steering column each time the wipers move while on intermittent? Mine does. No sound on regular or fast, but always on intermittent. Is that normal?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hey Larry,
Glad to hear you have radio again!
I'm not sure what kind of shape my factory speakers are in any more.
I will probably get to that after I get the brakes, hoses, belts, shocks, and window motors replaced.
Just received my brake booster and master cylinder yesterday.
Looks like my weekend fixit is all set.

As for wipers .. I haven't driven the car in the rain for several years so I don't know about the clicking sound. Did you say the noise is inside or outside?

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
As for wipers .. I haven't driven the car in the rain for several years so I don't know about the clicking sound. Did you say the noise is inside or outside?

The noise is inside the steering column. It sounds like it's maybe supposed to be that way or at least normal I mean. First there's the click, then the wipers move a fraction of a second later. Whatever makes it go just happens to click too loud. I don't know what it is. Possibly a bi-metal thingy that I can hear each time it opens and shuts. Not that it is bi-metal because I thought a bi-metal switch would have only one speed.
This noise always happens on the intermittent setting at every speed of intermittent. It never happens on the two non intermittent speeds.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
the govenor in the dash may be going bad, or the multifunction switch is dirty or bad

1 - 20 of 24 Posts