Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so most of you know for sometime Ive had this roaring vibrating rotation noise/feeling going on and after a new mounts, drive shafts, u joints, and transmission rebuild, it still is there and gotten to the point now that I feel any day this thing is going to grenade on me driving to or from work on the interstate at 70 mph. Which by the way Im hoping I still have enough time to do this and fix the issue. A week or so ago I bought a new chunk, turned out to be 31 spline and without failure mine is a 28 spline. So yesterday I bought a 9" rear end minus one axle shaft for 36 bucks. I thought it to be a somewhat steal, so I took it. I have since tore it apart and now am cleaning the entire thing and going to reassemble with the new chunk and have these axle bearings Ive had for sometime put on the one axle and Im hoping I can find another axle shaft at a local yard. Thinking maybe if I do all this I can use this on the cougar. Im away the bolt pattern is different but the 5 on 5 wheels are pretty easy to come by.Maybe even another yard item. Im hoping there wont be a housing issue(being size different, as Im sure the housing I just got came off a truck, just guessin). Im going to post a few pictures of everything here in a bit

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
Ok, you lost me.

Are you trying to get the truck (?) housing to fit back in the Cougar? The brakes and all won't fit on the truck housing.

Also, you took off the pinion yoke from the chunk. Did you get a new crush sleeve to put it back in? Are you familiar with the procedure?

I still the best thing to do is get a bearing kit for the original 9" and axles and get out the shop manual for how-to.

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Post 7, pic 4..
What year car are you working on? Are you sure it is a nine inch, and not an 8?
Other than the white on black type, this is a good write up...
http://www.maliburacing.com/ford_9_inch/ford_nine_inch.htm
and here:
http://www.kevinstang.com/Ninecase.htm

Note in the 2nd page, right after it mentions the "hump", it points out that the two bottom bolts can't take a socket, you have to use a wrench.
Your picture looks like a socket could get on there, but I'm not sure, due to the view.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Socket wrench couldn't get bottom.to off had to use a wrench. Guess since everyone and everything seems to work against me. I'm just going to put the new chunk.in the housing after.I finish painting it and sell it and hopefully have enough cash to just have mine rebuilt.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
By the way there are two different chunks I posted one. That is good and one that I pulled.out of the housing. What I had planned on doing was using the brakes from the truck on the housing. I have a feeling ill have to cut the shock brackets and reweld them in the right place. For the cougar of course. But whatever looks like ive wasted my time and money. Thought maybe the truck axles would stick out a bit and having the 5 on 5 wheels would sit the cougar at a nice stance

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Alright, new chunk here. Going to start today, hopefully have some pictures by tomorrow on everything. Pulled the drums yesterday and this is the passenger side, Drivers side wasnt much better, looks like Ill redoing the brakes as well, guess it wouldnt hurt IMAG0220.jpg IMAG0222.jpg

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
More importantly/in addition to the brakes, you need axle seals as I spoke to you about in a PM. Leaking axle lube mixed with brake dust is what that mess is.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Given what I have seen and read in your threads about this rear problem you been having and what you have bought thus far that will and will not work with what you have, let me state what I think (strongly and hope you might take the advice) you should do is the following:

Install new center section you bought (2nd one, 28 spline)

New axle bearings both sides

New axle seals both sides

New brake shoes and cut drums, check wheel cylinders for leaks behind dust boots, rebuild, preferably replace if leakage is evident

Forget the rest of the stuff you bought, i.e. truck rear (axles, center section, housing)

IMHO doing anything but the above is sheer lunacy but its your game to play as you wish!

Regards,

Bob

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Bought some new shoes, wheel cylinders and a hardware kit, having new axle bearings pressed on right now, dropping the old chunk today, have more pictures later

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Good luck and sounds like you are on your way/headed in the right direction.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
This may pose a problem IMAG0251.jpg IMAG0252.jpg
Upon changing the wheel cylinders, I noticed no brake fluid pour out of the brake line, guessing this maybe the culprit

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I hang my head in shame today, after removing the pumpkin, I find that its an 8". All my time and effort and now this. Ive wasted so much money and now Im borderline broke, with no car. IMAG0253.jpg

heres the new one, shame I cant still use it, at least I can get some of my money back, I hope IMAG0254.jpg

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
There's a valuable lesson there: When it comes to old cars, never take anything for granted. That said, why the heck would anyone have installed an 8" differential in your car? Didn't you say its a '71? It sure as heck didn't come with that rear from the factory. Its not like those 9" housings ever go bad and need to be replaced; and if it did, stock replacements aren't hard to come by. Possibly someone with a 302 powered Mustang swapped out the rears, but that seems like more trouble than it woud be worth. Bummer, anyhow.
FWIW, I still have this: http://www.mercurycougar.net/forums/showthread.php?36323-8-quot-center-section.
$25.00 plus shipping, if you can't find what you need locally.

PS: Just curious, but was there a tag or anything on the old differential that might help identify what it came out of?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts