Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i really really want to get some better gears for my car now.. i figure i wont be able to start on the next project for a long time now so i figure i will take car of teh things that are bothering me about my car. first of all is teh damn gearing. i currently have a 3.00 open rear end and want to upgrade that. at the local swaps a complete 3rd member is relativelt cheap. around $75 for one. i want to get around 3.25 or 3.50 ish gears as i have seen them in 28 spline versions. i want to know what is involved with changing out the pumpkin on the car. i havent dont this before and i also want to know if i should look out for anything when buying the pumpkin. will any 9 inch chunk work?? or am i gonna have to read part numbers here? i just want another open rear end center that will help my engine get to its power faster. i also want the speedometer to work too so where can i get a speedo gear for this? is that a big pain to install on the FMX? i have pulled them out of cars before but never bothered to really look at it. ummm. are there yoke differences that i should bother with? i have another 9 inch rear lying around here out of the 70 so i can look back to that for reference ( or spare parts... unless someone wants to buy it of course... ) and will the axles just pop out? heard that they will... umm i think thats about all i can think of right now.

·
Premium Member
4,105 Posts
Good news, This is not to hard to do.

When looking for a better set up make sure it has the same yoke as the one on your car. Make sure it has a fill plug on the pumpkin. Pre 67 ones had this on the back of the housing. And make sure it's good.

To remove your old pumpkin place the car on jack stands or a lift. remove the rear wheals and brake drums, unbolt the axle retainers, 4 bults each side. They look like they remove the backing plate. They do but also the axle retainer. Pull the axles out. unblot the pumpkin and crack it loose. Have a drain pan handy, Let it drain. get some help and pull the pimpkin. Clean the surface, install the new gasket and the new pumpkin. use new copper washers on the nuts, they are seals. have the axles inspected and if needed new berrings now. install new axle seals install the axles. do rear brakes if needed. and put it back together.

You can get the speedo gear from a ford dealer or on line. let me know what gears you get and I'll find out what gear you need. It is easy to do, single bult holds the cable to trans, remove, the gear has a tin clip holding it on the end, pull the clip, slip off old gear and reverse to install.

Have fun, I have done this several times. I do hate the small of geat lube in the morning.

If I missed any thing please let me know.:1poke:

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
the housing on 9" has a bigger bulge in it than the 8", youll need the housing too.

·
Premium Member
4,105 Posts
Bowl,
He has a 69 Cougar. They all have 9" axles.:1poke:

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
killer looks like ill be doing this soon. waiting for the Pomona swap to come around....

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Here's how I tell that the pumpkin is a 9", not an 8":
If you can remove the bottom nuts with a socket, it's an 8". If you have to use a wrench it's a 9". Especially useful in a junkyard under a vehicle with no way to read the tag. Trust me, it s*cks to grab one that looks right only to discover that it's an 8" once it's out. There are other ways, but the bottom nuts trick has always worked for me. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts