Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I went to swap out the center and ran in to a problem..I couldnt get the driverside axle to go in all the way. So I pulled the center back out to find on the driverside there are 2 parts to spline that the axel slides into and one has moved the alignment is off. Any easy fix for this? I have used this center before with no trouble and even had the axle all the way in yesterday on a dry test fit. So I guess I moved it some how but can seem to get it to align back up.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here is about the best pic I can find If you look in the hole you can see 2 sleve's that It slides into but like I said some how the alignment is off
da_3.jpg

·
Registered
93 Posts
Hey Ron,
I had the same issue with a 9" years ago. Put the R/S (passenger) axle in first, then install the L/S. Put it in till you feel it go into the first set of splines and then rotate the axle a little each way. It should align with the inner splines and slide in the rest of the way. You may have to have someone hold the R/S axle in place while you do this. You may also need to use a little leverage to get those two sets of splines to align. I think this will work.

Steve

68 GT-E
66 Mustang pony conv.
65 Monerey
64 Galaxie 500 F/B

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
427XR7

Worked like a charm.... Thanks

1 - 4 of 4 Posts