Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new project after being away from cars for years.

8F91J538338

65A X 1B 08B 23 5 1

It is a 68 base that was hacked back to life mechanically. The body was redone and painted deep purple after sitting neglected for many years by looking under the body . It has a new floor pan. Trunk is in great shape. The interior is clean and in pretty good shape if you like Mustangs. The car looks very nice under the sun. Good body gaps. Nice paint. It has front disk brakes that seem to work and new Flowmasters and pipes. It also has a T5 5 sp. The 4V 302 is supposedly rebuilt with a mild cam. I am apparently a sucker for a pretty face, and obviously not very good at car inspection.

Now the bad news:

Almost nothing works under the dash, which I knew and can fix.The seller actually bolted a 2V to the 4V manifold. Half the venturi area was blocked by a 4V spacer/adapter. The throttle linkage was a bent piece of 1/4" threaded rod obscured by the air filter.

The T5 transmission (oh boy, a 5 SP I thought) was connected to the bell with 2 bolts, one of which used a fender washer to hold the case to the bell (not bolted through the trans case hole). There was a 3/8" air gap between the trans and the bell, probably because the input shaft was too long or a mismatch with the bellhousing and motor. Input shaft and input shaft bearing are now shot. T5 junk; which is probably OK since the T5 was out of a 91 4 cylinder. I don't have any idea how it stayed together on the drive home. The seller told me he thought the drive shaft needed balancing. That's what I get for not getting all the way under (I bought it at a car show).

Since I can't trust the seller, I am yanking the engine this weekend. I have a full steering and suspension kit on the way. It will be easier to install w/o the engine anyway.

Going rest-o-mod.

I am really excited to find this excellent forum. Many questions on the way, I'm sure.

Dave

·
Registered
700 Posts
Hey Dave,

Welcome to the club.

Where in Jacksonville are you? I'm out in Atlantic Beach.

Jeff

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
The T5 transmission (oh boy, a 5 SP I thought) was connected to the bell with 2 bolts, one of which used a fender washer to hold the case to the bell (not bolted through the trans case hole). There was a 3/8" air gap between the trans and the bell, probably because the input shaft was too long or a mismatch with the bellhousing and motor.

Dave
That is why you have to use a spacer plate with vintage bell housings, or you use the 5.0 bell housing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts