Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the original Mercury 8 track/AM Radio from my 68 XR7. It's in perfect shape, just no knobs. It doesn't have the buttons for saving stations and it says Mercury across the top.

Anyone have any ideas how much these things go for?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Good question. My first thought would be not worth a whole lot, but someone doing a concurs restoration could be very interested.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Due to your radio's lack of pushbuttons on the top, it is then a 1967 radio. From 1968 to 1973 the am/ 8 tracks were adorned with pushbuttons on the top. I assume you mean that yours wasn't built with these, and that is not just missing them. They sell for varying prices on ebay, with a median of around $75. It can fetch even more if it works. Of course, it's all about finding the right bidders at the right time. Hope this helps.

·
11,000 Posts
That's correct, the one with no selector buttons is a '67 model. The part number should be on the side of the case, on the unit you have it will be C7 XXXXXX.

A correct '68 AM-8 track would have push button station preselects and a C8XXXX number on the side. The date of manufacture is ink stamped on all these units, it is easily wiped off with Windex or similar cleaners and fades over time to be illegible.

Later AM-8 track units from 1971 - onward have the word "Cougar" on the face and are stamped with later part numbers and date stamps.

I agree with the value estimate, somewhere between 50 - 100 bucks. These units are not terribly popular.

·
Registered
488 Posts
radio numbers

the radios have a different number system than the rest of the car. the part number will be T7MM or something like that. there is actually a website devoted to radio part number decoding: http://www.hammar.dyndns.org/radio.htm i think 69 was the first year the radios also carried teh ford part number we are mor familiar with. hawkrod

·
11,000 Posts
Wow! Cool site, thanks for that one Tom!

·
Registered
488 Posts
radios

i guess it would be helpful to note that 67 radios were fullsize units for the most part not cougar specific. i wanted to mention this in case people start chucking their 67 AM/FM's because they have merc numbers instead of cougar numbers! glad you liked the link. hawkrod

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'm confused. Would either radio/8 track be correct for a '68? My '68 sales brochure shows a photo of a radio/8 track w/o the buttons while my owner's manual shows one with them. Were the ones w/o buttons used on early '68's maybe?
John

·
Registered
488 Posts
radios

no, the 68's have buttons. the artwork used in advertising and such are often touched up earlier versions and regularly have incorrect details that are considered insignificant by the manufacturer. hawkrod

1 - 9 of 9 Posts