Mercury Cougar Owners banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, pretty new to the community and hoping I put this question in the correct section. I have a 1976 Cougar XR7 with the 460 V8. I'm looking to replace the air cleaner with an open air cleaner to replace the closed in factory one, but have been made aware that many of them don't fit as they are too tall and the hood will crush it. Does anyone have a model of air cleaner that they are using in the same generation of cougar with the 460 to confirm it will fit in okay?

Thanks in advance! I'll try to get some pictures up soon! Purchased last year and it's in wonderful shape!

·
Registered
109 Posts
The 1965-66 Mustang HiPo 289 air cleaner should fit under your hood. It is fairly short.
There are variations on the market that have a drop base that will lower the overall height.
Some have a fitting to connect the breather hose from the oil filler cap.
However, it will not have the hot-air snorkel (for cold starts) or the temperature sensors located on your original air cleaner.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The 1965-66 Mustang HiPo 289 air cleaner should fit under your hood. It is fairly short.
There are variations on the market that have a drop base that will lower the overall height.
Some have a fitting to connect the breather hose from the oil filler cap.
However, it will not have the hot-air snorkel (for cold starts) or the temperature sensors located on your original air cleaner.
Thanks for the reply! I know the third gens don't get much love among the car community, but I just love the style. I don't believe my stock air cleaner housing has a temperature sensor, so I should be good there. I'm not expecting any performance increase, but will I expect a performance reduction going to a filter that is intended for an engine so much smaller?

Also, I'm looking to replace the OEM valve cover breather/oil filler cap with one that doesn't route into the air cleaner, but fits on the OEM valve covers. Are they a one size fits all as long as it is a Ford part?

Thanks again for the response. It's my first classic, so I'm pretty green to this.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Thanks for the reply! I know the third gens don't get much love among the car community, but I just love the style. I don't believe my stock air cleaner housing has a temperature sensor, so I should be good there. I'm not expecting any performance increase, but will I expect a performance reduction going to a filter that is intended for an engine so much smaller?

Also, I'm looking to replace the OEM valve cover breather/oil filler cap with one that doesn't route into the air cleaner, but fits on the OEM valve covers. Are they a one size fits all as long as it is a Ford part?

Thanks again for the response. It's my first classic, so I'm pretty green to this.
That same HiPo 289 air cleaner was used on the 1968 427 Cougars. If you compare the restriction caused by the snorkel to the 360 deg inlet from a fully open air cleaner, the restriction is much less.

A 1967 390 twist-on oil filler cap, such as Scott Drake C5ME-6766-A should fit.
The opening is the same for the factory valve covers with a twist-on cap. However, I do not recommend it - the cap is designed to remove the blow-by gases from inside the engine. These gases condense and form sludge.
The HiPo 289 air cleaner has a fitting on the bottom to connect the hose for this purpose.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That same HiPo 289 air cleaner was used on the 1968 427 Cougars. If you compare the restriction caused by the snorkel to the 360 deg inlet from a fully open air cleaner, the restriction is much less.

A 1967 390 twist-on oil filler cap, such as Scott Drake C5ME-6766-A should fit.
The opening is the same for the factory valve covers with a twist-on cap. However, I do not recommend it - the cap is designed to remove the blow-by gases from inside the engine. These gases condense and form sludge.
The HiPo 289 air cleaner has a fitting on the bottom to connect the hose for this purpose.
Thanks a ton for the info, very informative! I was under the impression that the breather connecting to the air filter was for emissions, but it it is for engine health I will definitely keep it on there, and I will take a look to see if I am able to find the air cleaner you suggested as well. Really appreciate the response!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Check out this air cleaner test before you purchase an air cleaner:
You will be very surprised at the results!
Very interesting results! That being said, this bloated beast of an engine only makes just over 200hp 😂 for now anyways, still contemplating whether I keep it majority original or have some fun with it. If I'm being honest though, that gave me more questions than answers. Unfortunately the hood is too low to fit even a flat base on, I believe it requires the drip base to fit. That being said, I wonder if the K&N open top would make more sense. Admittedly, I wanted an open air cleaner for aesthetics more than functionality, being that it is a very under tuned engine to begin with, but this has me wondering if the single snorkel is actually robbing horsepower, even with the bhp being low. So many questions and considerations now 😂

1 - 7 of 7 Posts